Hunting Dog? Family Dog?

Fred & John,

All joking aside.....We all love our huntin' dogs and they all have their pluses & minuses.....I personally love just about any hunting dog and I could care less if it has high dollar breeding or not.

Brandon.....My favorite hunting dog of all time was Mike the Dog (1/2 beagle & 1/2 something else)......That little guy was the greatest upland dog I ever owned.

.sac_roosters_1973[1].jpg

Reactions: stikbrandon and NBK
+1 on the Weim! Duck, dove, rabbit, quail, pheasant, you name it.., and he's a lap dog every other day of the year!
3898f8faa58e7142e83be216d825e0b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to my previous post please feel free to contact us (we're all about the dogs) and come out and visit and experience retrievers and versatile dogs and their different personalities and temperaments so that you have the opportunity to interact and engage with the different breeds and decide what might work best for you.

Some people don't believe you can have the best of both, keeping a hunting dog in a crate until they get used. Marley is the best little hunting dog I've ever had, small, strong, more than willing for an all day trek without the whining. She is 4 years old now and has learned a lot, great around children and other dogs.She's a Dashund/Lab mix and loves to swim, climb and dig. She is able to track blood, retrieve and get places a larger dog may have some difficulty.

I'm looking into getting a dog, want a hunter but also a good family dog. I grew up hunting with my
father and his GSP so I'm kind of partial to them but don't know if they would also make a good family dog. I'd love to here your guys suggestions on a good duel purpose breed.

My best advice is just take your time. Look at as many dogs as you can and do your research. I was in the market for 2 years before I chose Dash, and I looked at and had the opportunity to get 6 other pup's before him. 2 of which were highly thought after GSP's, a Brittany, a wired hired pointer, and a couple labs....

Reactions: steveo007
Some good advice posted here. I have had a few hunting dogs and all were house/family dogs. the key no matter what you get is to keep them occupied, physically and mentally. A bored bird dog can be destructive and annoying. I train in the backyard everyday and try to get out once every weekend for additional training with birds and guns. A tired dog is a good dog. As stated before, find the closest NAVHDA chapter near you and hit up a training day. Don't be shy and ask questions, all nice folks who are willing to talk about their breeds.

Oh and Mike meant to say "check out the Small Munsterlanders".

Just helping out Mike! ;)

Oh and Mike meant to say "check out the Small Munsterlanders".

Just helping out Mike! ;)

Well the SM does kind of have a beard.... I thought you hunted German Wirehairs, those are some really nice dogs too... :p

Reactions: NBK
IMG_2047.JPG Flushers vs pointers.......when it comes to wild birds both dogs need to be held close. Every year a pointer comes down to Baja to hunt and without a doubt the handler tells everyone my dog needs to run big......well the guides tell him these are not planted birds and they will not hold. Sure enough the dog is out 200yds plus and flushes bird after bird luckily I know how this works so I blocking and the dog is flushing them right to me for some nice shooting.

Another issue can be when we're hunting thick cover and you can't see the dog on point. The birds will hold tighter in thick cover but if you can't see the dog it makes it hard to get the dog and handler on the same page.

In the 7 years I've been hunting Baja for birds very few labs but lots of pointers mainly GSP or Vizsla's

Good luck on you hunt for a new hunting dog

View attachment 30175 Flushers vs pointers.......when it comes to wild birds both dogs need to be held close. Every year a pointer comes down to Baja to hunt and without a doubt the handler tells everyone my dog needs to run big......well the guides tell him these are not planted birds and they will not hold. Sure enough the dog is out 200yds plus and flushes bird after bird luckily I know how this works so I blocking and the dog is flushing them right to me for some nice shooting.

Another issue can be when we're hunting thick cover and you can't see the dog on point. The birds will hold tighter in thick cover but if you can't see the dog it makes it hard to get the dog and handler on the same page.

In the 7 years I've been hunting Baja for birds very few labs but lots of pointers mainly GSP or Vizsla's

Good luck on you hunt for a new hunting dog
thanks MJB great info

The only hunting dog I've ever had is a GSP. She is an amazing family dog, loves my two sons, will play with them, swim in our pool with them, can easily be a couch potato/lap dog, gets on my boat for long fishing days, goes everywhere with me in my truck and hunts like nobody's business for her age.

As a member of all three NAVHDA chapters in SoCal I also highly recommend visiting on training days and seeing all the amazing breeds out there.

Jagdterrier was perfect for my family. He is a total natural water dog and smoked the other pups in tracking at a NAVHDA training. He is ok at retrieving and haven't seen a point yet, but i'm confident that will come.

All the other dogs mentioned are great, but at 28lbs mine is the perfect size and he is faster than the bigger labs and I would put his stamina up against any GSP.

Plus they eat less and poop smaller than the bigger dog.

My two cents.

Reactions: steveo007
went up to Prado dog park Saturday and watched some dog's from the San Diego NAVDA group, great people and some awesome dogs

Attachments

• 20170617_104400.jpg
    20170617_104400.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20170617_122906.jpg
    20170617_122906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20170617_120519.jpg
    20170617_120519.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20170617_120931.jpg
    20170617_120931.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
That first pic is a Pudelpointer...

Just watched vid, Yikes. Should have never taken that shot! No bird is worth a persons or his/her dogs life..SMH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu