Hunting is hard (D16)

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
I didn't make it out for the opener. But sunday I hiked up to my "promising spot" with Bonjour. I had been to this saddle point only twice, both in the drizzle, and found fresh poop and beds, as well as expansive views. We were in place sunday morning by 5 am, 1.5 hrs before shooting light. As I lay on that soft, warm rock waiting for the sun, I imagined all the deer stacking up below me like tuna under the boat. Sunrise came and went and I stared endlessly into the vast expanses of sage brush surrounding me. No deer.

As the dearth of animal movement became dearthier and dearthier, Bonjour and I began standing up a bit; to stretch our legs and to glass other ridges. I let my gaze fall on a distant ridge, with a distant meadow. Standing, and looking through my 10x42 binos, I could just see some big brown lumps in the field. I dropped down to the spotting scope and to my amazement, there were 5 deer standing right in the middle of that meadow! Two huge bodied deer and 3 smaller ones. And as I watched, the big deer began shaking their heads and then head butting each other. A buck fight! That was a promising sign, since it's only the second time ever I've seen hunt able bucks (or deer, for that matter) in the field. Don looked up the spot on his OnX, and found it was public, *only* 1.5 miles away, and somewhat near a road. I was incredulous that there were no hunters there, but the proof was in the deery pudding.

There were several huge canyons between us and them, so we hit the trail back to the truck, and then made the slow trip through mountain roads to that other meadow. Once again, I was full of anticipation. Those bucks were stupid with sex, just waiting for me to come find them. We approached the new meadow with caution, 2 hours later. Parking 1/4 milk away and walked up a little knoll, we glassed everywhere until we were convinced this was the place, but no deer. Then Don spotted the first pair of hunters, then the second, then a grey corolla rolled up behind us and two hunters got out and started walking in. The place was corked!

This morning I drove back up early to make sure I was the first one there. 5 am I settled in to a new, warm soft rock and began day dreaming (hallucinating) about deer sparring in the field before me. Once again sunrise came and went and once again no deer. What a disappointment!

Not sure what my next move is. That second meadow looks promising, but there's limited view there. Really a spot of opportunity and even on a monday there were hunters all around it. The first spot I think is a bust. I know a few other spots that get a lot of pressure, and one or two that are looong walks in. But spots are probably secondary to knowing what to look for and where to look. And there I am lost. It seems some skilled few can spot a bedded deer and pick him off in his spot. Others rely on stumbling into one here or there. I have a vague idea that they seek water at night, and climb hills at sunrise. So I'm trying to hit peaks at sunrise in hopes of crossing paths with them. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Unless it's "Hang in there", which I've heard plenty of.

I don't have any advice besides put the time in as you said it's been tough so far this year I'm not gonna lie. This moon sure isn't helping I've only seen 2 deer in the daylight. but I saw 3 before legal light on the opener in the headlights the past 3 days I've hunted hard every day it's tough for all off us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Luke. I know it's not easy out here. But frustrating to never even see them. Though as you mention, I have seen does on the roadsides at night, and on private land all day.

When you start glassing, where do you point your eyes?

Matt,

Hunted dark to dark today......Not public, but pretty much same as.....Saw deer activity right off the bat this morning with a little spike chasing a doe.....I figured if there was any bucks in that area, he wouldn't let twerp in on his women......Moved probably at least a 1/2 away in the opposite direction and saw them again. Talk about chasing her all over the mountain.....Then bumped the deer. Of which, at least 2 were does.....Snuck back into this area this evening and never saw a deer.....Right place, right time my friend..... ;)

ps.....Number 1 spot has some good boys lurking around.....Pix from the last 4 days.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Stick with it. Crowds are common unless your lucky enough to know of the spots that are over looked and avoided.

My opener was full of excitement. A whole herd came in on my buddy and I. He missed a dandy 3/3 I missed with my bow last year in the same spot but I hooked a lunker 4/4 at 215yrds. Sunday ran out late morning with my bow. Bumped a group of 5 deer. Glassed all afternoon and turned up a very solid 3/3 with 10 mins of hunt left and watched him walk right by my jeep. I'll be back for him another day. My Sunday spot is one of the spots I have never seen another foot print or hunter. I'm very gracious for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well all I can say is you made it out and gave a good try.
I was laid up and could not make it. so I am really bummed out.

it is all about terrain. think like a deer. if it's hot or if it's cold.
north side when when it is hot. they like to stick to areas where it's shady and cool.
plenty of feed. look for draws and saddles. with least resistance.

when it's windy they like areas in draws where the wind is blocked.
look for areas they no one else likes to go. or knows about.
now that the pressure is on. they will go nocturnal. until the rut is full.
find the tracks & scat, then be patient. and hope for luck.

Ghost

Right now afternoons was much better than mornings.
Mornings was hot.

Matt we saw them and put on a stalk. We were pretty close and I think that father/son team pushed them down that draw. I had great fun and I'm glad you called me. I wouldn't have got out if you hadn't.

Bonejour said:
Matt we saw them and put on a stalk. We were pretty close and I think that father/son team pushed them down that draw. I had great fun and I'm glad you called me. I wouldn't have got out if you hadn't.

Let's go again!

Went back out today. Hiked in a few miles to a canyon I've never visited. I was hoping to glass the draws as the sun went down. But when I got in there it was impenetrable over-head brush. Impossible to see anything, so I had a nice hike. Still hunted some meadows on my way out.

I'm thinking of hitting the sparring buck field again tomorrow.

Hey msteiger do you drive a white truck if so you and I talked yesterday, good luck perseverance will pay off. I have not seen a deer yet but there is still time.

kabose1 said:
Hey msteiger do you drive a white truck if so you and I talked yesterday, good luck perseverance will pay off. I have not seen a deer yet but there is still time.

I do drive a white truck. Ha! Nice to meet you. I decided to take today off to get some rest, just going to work instead.

I will be out again Thursday not sure were yet but as they say cant get one on the couch. Good luck

Update: I hunted 6 of the first 9 days of the season. Took off yesterday and today to make some $$$.

I have been sitting up high glassing huge valleys, washes, and adjacent hills. Mostly at sunrise, but also a few sunsets. Since opening sunday (saw two bucks fighting at 2 miles) I've seen lots of game trails, fresh poops, but only 4 does (individuals, not grouped). I've also been back to the place I saw bucks sparring (once at sunset, once at sunrise, both weekdays) and saw nada.

I think I'm in the right places: sign everywhere. I'm getting in 30-60 min before gray light. But seeing nothing.

Frustrated.

keep at it bro and enjoy the outdoors. I spent my last month during my archery season glassing n stalking but couldn't seal the deal. I did enjoy every minute of it because I think about the off season and how I wish I was out in the field and that keeps me going every time. Now rifle season starts for me this Saturday and hoping things turn for the good.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu