Hunting muleys on public land, so. Cal

Ya I have run into sage brush with pollen all over it. And by chance you get face full if it and breath it in. It will choke one right now.
I have to take big gulp of water to clear it up.

Like I said, it's the programming thing.

You often have to express via written words what's the problem you're having, in great detail, steps you've tried to overcome it (again great detail with great attention being paid to avoiding ambiguity in what you wrote so there's no room for incorrect interpretation by the other guy reading it, and explain what functionality you need this particular area of code to do, when conversing with some 3rd party companies developer support team. Usually you can't talk to them on the phone unless your company buys a ridiculously expensive support contract, so ya have to post up questions on their community forum boards. And usually... I'm so persistant and methodical, if I'm bothering to put up a post asking a question.. there's either a problem with your product... or a completely different way I need to be going about doing the thing I'm trying to accomplish, but their limited and ineffective literature for their API documentation doesn't give enough examples to allow you to infer and figure out what you need to use among the bazillion objects and classes they have to offer you via their API.

And also... as you might imagine.. because of this I can type fairly fast, so it ain't no thang to me to rattle-off what you all perceive as a something "long-winded". To me that's just part of my "all day errday", ya know?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I actually wrote instructions and Drew detail drawings in fabrication. The deal with my stuff
I had to be simple and yet well explained. Straight to the point with very little wording. I mostly explain directions with my drawings. The wording had to be short as possible and direct.
We build very close tolerance and very complicated parts and aircraft articles. A wrong step or an error on my part could scrap out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some stuff i worked on was millions of dollars.
All history now since I am retired.
I don't have internet were I live so
It's the darn phone.

Last edited:
I use to carry old school GI canteen, a knive, rifle and that was it. Times have changed.
Time now :
Med kit, fire starter kit, survival straw, cordage, water bladder,
Contractors garbage bag. Deer bag, bandana, misc calls. Food kit
Water purifier tabs. Binos,Xtra ammo. Second knife, head lamp
Xtra batteries. License, tags, a pen.
I keep utility knife in my pocket.
And Xtra flash light.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Those survival straws are dumb, pointless. The SAWYER Mini Filter is a WAY smarter option. In SoCal... when are you likely to come across enough water that you can actually suck it up thru a straw?

Furthermore, how stupid is it to make a product that ties you down geographically to needing to remain in close proximity to a water source in order to be of any use to you?

With the Sawyer Mini Filter... you take the water bag it comes with... and you can scoop up water into it from the thinnest of puddles... ya screw on the filtering part, invert the bag, and squeeze and pour the water out into a receptable you should already have to begin with, thus freeing you from being "tethered" with needing to remain near this access to water.

Not only that the Sawyer Mini Filter weighs less and is easier to fit in your pack. Not to mention works quite nicely.

OH... and I also now always bring a Bore-Snake along with me for the caliber I'm carrying.

CASE SCENARIO: You set your rifle down leaning against something. AW crap.. it fells over... shoot.. now theirs dirt in the barrel! Ooh man... if I didn't have that Bore-Snake.. damn... I'd have to hike my happy a$$ allll the way back to the truck and hope I remembered to have something like this in there, otherwise, my hunt is OVER! YIKES! 'Cause ya know... firing a rifle with some bore obstruction is just NOT on any list of things I'd allow myself to dare to do.

Also nowadays I do that trick of wrapping the end of the barrel and muzzle with electrical-tape when I'm big-game hunting, just to be doubly sure I don't EFF it up for myself by getting junk in the barrel.

SIDE NOTE: When carrying bow, I routinely check the attachment of the on-board quiver. The crappy one it originally came with... fell off on me one time during a hike-out. Thank goodness I had to stop and take-off my pack for a rest and realized the damn thing had fallen off (the bow was lashed to the back of my pack, since I was done for the day). Thankfully was able to back-track and find the damn thing. That quiver you sort of inserted one rubber covered post into the attachment bracket... then rockered over the other rubber-covered post into a second channel groove in this attachment bracket. The tension of the rubber covering I guess was supposed to be the only thing holding it in. Lame. The one I have know, has a nice big knob to screw-it-down! One dove-tailed piece slides into another and the screw just provides the needed tensioning, and I crank that mofo DOWN!

Last edited:
When going deep I bring a med kit with a combat tourniquet (one hand operation), QuikClot, duct tape, and super glue. Last year I used the tape and glue to seal a bad cut I got while dressing a buck.. and I hope to not use the other 2. Also want to add a GPS emergency beacon at some point just to keep the wife happy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I'm seriously considering getting the new Garmin InReach Mini. The older generation SPOT somebody handed me down SUCKS!

Yes the GPS beacon is high on my list too. I advocate it highly. I need do what I preach. That should be the most important tool in our back packs.

Larry lol I know you hate my straw filter. But I don't like a lot of
Fancy gismos. Like I said I use to carry a cateen. I would boil water with. My secret which is not a secret is to find water or alternatives. Water from plants.
But remember every one is different and has different experience.

PS Good call on the Super-Glue! I forgot that initially one of the first uses of super-glue was invented for the purpose of sealing sports wounds on the field. I also like the idea of bringing Duct Tape! Kind of upset with myself I didn't think of that one.

Like someone else here mentioned... I too did an oopsie with my Havalon on my first Deer and sliced across the back of my other hands middle finger. I got real lucky... it was only maybe 2mm deep or so. So I just changed out Nitrile gloves and rolled with it, then after processing did a wipedown and an adhesive bandage. It was my first time... it was night.. and I was alone... and I had just seen a predator like 10 minutes before shooting that deer, and there were coyotes howling... not close enough to scare me... but the distance sounded close enough to be of a minor concern. So I was all about trying to GTFOutta there ASAP.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be thinking about the path of that blade and where will it go once it cuts thru that stubborn tendon you're currently dealing with! Is your holding hand in the clear? After that scalpel slices thru that tough tendon, will the path of the force you're exerting on it cause it to travel towards your holding-hand? Or your thigh? (Seems a lot of guys Eff up and stab their thighs, strangely) Seriously... I recommend to everyone when they use their Havalon to audibly...out loud.... before you begin... say to yourself "Now Slow Down! Slow the Fvck Down! Take Your Time" 'Cause them Havalon cuts are wicked!

Reactions: YETI
Larry lol I know you hate my straw filter. But I don't like a lot of
Fancy gismos. Like I said I use to carry a cateen. I would boil water with. My secret which is not a secret is to find water or alternatives. Water from plants.
But remember every one is different and has different experience.

Don't hate the life straw, I merely recognize it as a flawed piece of logic with good marketing. The Sawyer mini filter it not anymore high tech then the straw. They are both essentially the same concept, one is just more well thought out is all. One is actually useful in SoCal, the other simply is not.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu