Hunting muleys on public land, so. Cal

Hunh. I may do cameras next year. Being a total n00b, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to set a camera right now.

From everything I've heard, San Diego County is a tough place to hunt so I'm planning on using this year to scout and learn (and maybe get lucky) and then next year I'll be ready to hunt in earnest. Unless, of course, I find someone who knows what they're doing to buddy up with.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hunh. I may do cameras next year. Being a total n00b, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to set a camera right now.

From everything I've heard, San Diego County is a tough place to hunt so I'm planning on using this year to scout and learn (and maybe get lucky) and then next year I'll be ready to hunt in earnest. Unless, of course, I find someone who knows what they're doing to buddy up with.

Yes, it is a tough place to hunt. BUT, if you are continually successful here you can do it anywhere imo. Buy a couple of cheap cams from Wal Mart now and put in your pack and carry with you while scouting. When you find good sign look for a place to hang a cam, like a nice tree that gives you a good long view of the trail the game maybe walking. hang it and come back to it. You may be surprised at what you find. Since you are learning now you might as well incorporate it asap instead of trying to learn it next year when you plan to hunt. Watch out for limbs that can blow in front of the camera, try to position North or South so sun wont shine directly into cam, etc. Google trail cam setups/placement and/or similar. I had even asked about what others were using trail cam wise on here and I got good info. A must have tool in my book for D16 hunting. It lets you concentrate on good areas and eliminate bad ones so you don't waste your time in those places. Then you will start to piece together a game plan of sorts with multiple places in your back pocket. I will warn you that it is addicting wondering what maybe on the cams..!!! :)

My .02 anyway

Brother... you DEFINTELY want to have some cams. Does SOOO much to re-motivate your spirit and drive to stick with it when you see them on the cam photos! and can thus confirm you're not just some idiot walking around by yourself for nothing. Doubt will make you feel like that A LOT in the beginning. But you have to stick with it and cling to the thought that if you stick to it, sooner or later you've got to make it happen as long as you keep learning and making smarter choices in your plans.

And seriously... you're just gonna see a lot of neat stuff. And even when you don't happen to see deer, if you're going out there you'll start to notice other areas that can be of interest for later. Such as notcing an area that Rabbits like to fart around and socialize in. Or a place with a good amount of Ground-Squirrels in. Or making note of when Quail flushed as you hiked thru.

Also the more you pay attention when you're on your hike-ins and sits... the more you'll start to learn little tattle-tale sounds/signals the other animals will give-off that can alert you that something *may* be approaching, so you can perk up and be ready if you hear them sounding off not to far away.

I promise... I sincerely promise you... there will be very few events in your life that match the awesomeness of when you finally make it happen man! No joke. Don't Give Up!! Be Committed To It!!

I wouldn’t be upset if the outlawed game cams. There are drinkers in AZ and other places that are littered with them. Just my 2 cents. I understand they are fun but these guides basically staking out these giant animals kind of takes the sport out of it for me. Bring on the criticism.

Thanks for the sample image there 'Sprig.

Here's one a little more related to deer....Tasco's are not Reconyx or even Bushnell Trophy cams, but they are very simple to use and the pictures will most definitely tell you what you need to know....I do think there's shutter speeds on all the stuff....Which would help with night time pix....I just use them as they are out of the box....Wildgame Innovations & Moultrie make cheapy cameras too.

Yeti....Get a couple of cams....One of the funnest parts of hunting....I'm addicted to these things....lol

.028.JPG1201.JPG033.JPG

Last edited:

Just look for lots of sign.. deer tracks and poop... Look for areas that look like they had a barn dance.. set your cameras there...

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu