Hunting near ski areas in NF

PRS Paco

Jan 8, 2021
Hey, does anyone know the legality of hunting the ski areas in national Forest. Like the ones near wrightwood?

California law,....it is generally unlawful to hunt, or to discharge while hunting, any firearm within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling, house, barn, or other outbuilding, except for the owner or person in possession of the premises, or with the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises. It is also unlawful to intentionally discharge any firearm over or across any public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe and reckless manner.

Funny... I've been looking for an answer to campgrounds in the regs. Angeles National Forest website and others says the same thing as the state law but they add "occupied campsite" or just campsite. I'm looking for where that actually comes from.. because they don't site a source.

Paco, I'm if I come across anything related to wrightwood/ski areas I'll post it.

We often camped at blue ridge and would see lots of deer hanging out on the open slopes. We finally found a game warden and asked him, and the answer was no take on the slopes. I’m sure guys do it, but not worth the trouble for me.

I always said if it seems wrong, it likely is. Error on the save side. Me not being a big skier, well I have never been down a slope, are not most ski resorts and slopes private??

It depends on who you run into... remember..it's designed to hurt...

Trust me..I like campground deer also..but green jeans likes them a hell of a lot more....my 1.5 cents..

Reactions: sportyg
This is true...gotta get coming to and from the Doritos bag.....old Cherokee secret..

Reactions: MasonP and skeet
Truth also from what I've read from the war and peace Novels.,.

L
I always said if it seems wrong, it likely is. Error on the save side. Me not being a big skier, well I have never been down a slope, are not most ski resorts and slopes private?

I always said if it seems wrong, it likely is. Error on the save side. Me not being a big skier, well I have never been down a slope, are not most ski resorts and slopes private??
In the west ski resorts of any stature to my knowledge are leased from the feds so then becomes the question what rights does the leasee have, I hunted deer up near Brianhead in Utah back in 2010 and according to what LE told us it was legal. It was in September so no snow or tourists around. That tells me you need to know the local laws...

^^^^^
Out of state much more friendly. Like was said above check locally with green jeans

Reactions: MasonP
The resorts can't trespass you off the runs for ski/boarding or biking in summer for not having lift tickets just the lifts. This is how people board at ski only places... like Alta. They just hike. They have power over the facilities that they operate but not so much the mountains as a whole. Popping something on or across a run or trail is probably asking for unwanted attention though and I'd wait till something is out of those specific spots.

Mountain high is Private and they will prosecute you for trespass, but above and farther down the 2hwy there are areas and defunct camp sites that were promising. just make sure you have a good to great 4X4 the roads are not maintained and a little rain can change the roads and creek crossing can get very tricky.
The Rangers have always been very helpful and cooperative, I believe they have moved up HWY2 4 or 5 miles on the right.
Also there are cabins spread all thru that forest make sure you are free of them.

Reactions: MasonP

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu