Hunting outside my box...

Not going to lie pretty awesome and very unique not everyday you hear of someone shooting an muskox congrats.

I was fortunate to go to Greenland last month and hunt Muskox. I've looked into hunting Muskox in Canada and Alaska but it was outta my price range or very difficult to get a tag. This hunt fell into my lap and I was able to pull it off. Beyond my greatest expectations. Probably do a lifesize mount... Ed FView attachment 35024
Awesome congrats!

Congrats! I've been to that spot in Copenhagen by the boats there. My wife is from Denmark. Greenland is actually "owned" by Denmark. Great fishing too. We have a summerhouse on the North Sea in DK.
Skoal!

View attachment 39502It took one year to get the beast to the states. I got my taxi on it right away. Gonna have to use my wife's hair brush and blow dryer on this one... Ed F

Ed, is the delay due to customs?

I know originally you were thinking full size mount, but is that a shoulder mount, or is it done piece by piece?

Prehistoric...literally...stunning.

They shipped it to Copenhagen Denmark where the skull was cleaned and hide tanned. Then it goes through USDA and US Customs before coming here. Pain in the ass. We were told 6-8 months... it took 12.

I decided to go with a pedestal mount. My brother is gonna make the barnwood pedestal and I'll add a rock with snow for it to sit on and the hair can hang down. The hair is 10-12" on his chest. Next week I'm gonna start on Brets lifesize... after I set some cameras for Coues. Ed F

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Very impressive. I am curious as to what Musk Ox tastes like? is the flavor similar to our Bison?

We ate muskox and caribou every day while we were there. It tastes like good beef, I'd say better than elk. Unfortunately we were not able to take any meat home. USDA won't allow it... bummer, kinda difficult to grasp, for me.

Looks a little better brushed out. It'll take a month of good weather for it to dry so I can finish it. Ed F20190529_135841.jpg

One thought that comes to mind, other than that you are a badass bowhunter and that was an amazing hunt, is that Iceland and Greenland should swap names... Looking forward to seeing the final product!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu