I got two Sqeeks more to come

I have these down here in the IV..is it Prairie dogs? I remember my dad calling them "juansitos". They are about 6 inches max. Dad never blasted them so I do the same, I might have ran a few over but by accident.
juansito.png

Richard,

Kind of hard to tell....But if that pic is from the Seely/Plaster City area....It's probably a California ground squirrel (about 10" long)…..The round tailed ground squirrel which is native to the IV is only about 6" long....Little guys.

.051.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have these down here in the IV..is it Prairie dogs? I remember my dad calling them "juansitos". They are about 6 inches max. Dad never blasted them so I do the same, I might have ran a few over but by accident.
View attachment 37971
I always see those in the desert. Look like chipmunks. Too cute to shoot imo but if you can hit them you’ll have no problem with big fat ground squirells.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Oh...My... Goodness... I've found out I Freaking LOVE Poppin' Squeeks!!!

It's usually my consolation prize when yotes didn't come in on my sets, in that High Desert Spot.

The freakin' .17 HMR man... with those lightweight Redhead Kwik-Stix shooting-stix... and those Hornady 15.5gr NTX's.... for Poppin' squeeks... it's a "Match Made In Heaven!".

I challenge you to try it and NOT fall absolutely in love with the .17 HMR!

If you've never done it with the .17 HMR... seriously... you absolutely HAVE to try it with that cartridge!

Total freakin' LaserBeam!

[NOTE: Minor amount of NSFW words]

Last edited:
Ya the ol nitro venom pellet rifle
Is right at or exceeding the knock down power at 50 yards. I probably should get at little closer. But it was fun trying.
Sharpening my aiming skills trying to hit a small targets at that distance.
What I do like about it. Very quiet
With little noise. Fun trying. It was zeroed in at 25 yards so I had to
Re-zero at 50 yards. It is not easy
But that was the challenge and fun part.

Last edited:
So I was using the military hold.
Were you let the rifle sit on a rest.
And let it free hold. Let it recoil without trying to restraint it.
Seems to work pretty good.

Larry that 17 HMR is a wicked round. But I think my future will
Be 6.5 or 308 precision rifle.
Turner's has the 6.5 or 308 on sale
Ruger American predator for
$630 bucks with Vortex scope.
Super deal.
@ DuskorDawn this a good buy.
I would get the 6.5 CM instead of the 243.

Pros and cons nitro venom.
Cons
Heavy
Cheap scope
Even tho it has a 2 stage trigger
It's stiff.
Pros
I can buy 500 pellets $6 or less
And shoot all day.
Accurate for pellet gun.
The 22 call has good knock down power for a pellet gun.
Brake open a bit stiff but never
Runs out of air, nitro piston does it's job.
Just a fun air rifle to shoot.
I will upgrade the scope in the near future. And I believe it will
make it a lot more accurate.
LB

Last edited:
I agree....Not even sure it's legal to shoot the round tails.
That’s been my understanding. Illegal to shoot the little ones that look like chipmunks. I want to say there’re callled Cali Striped ground squirrell or something like that.

I am liking all this rain. The critters should be good this year. Upland and small game, fingers crossed, hope hope, hope. I see the sqeeks making a come back on and near my property.
Hope quail start making come back as well as the turkeys.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu