I HATE COPPER!

F all the metal talk... rage hypo leave more of a 50. Cal blood trail then Anything.

also NBK, I run the 127 grain barns lrx out of my ruger american 6.5CM, has a 1-8 twist Barrel. It is lights out further then I’d send rnds at an animal.

what california legal rnd should I shoot with a 1-8 twist barrel if that is to slow of a twist rate???? I have never put it through paper past 200 yards and it is sub moa with no punch marks at all.

My concern is say At 3-400 yards the round starts to wobble, and it hits cockeyed. Not so good whit expansion at that point.

I have only been big game hunting since 2016. I have never killed an animal with lead. In state or out of state I have always used Barnes LRX and TTSX.

I have a new 260 that I will be using either cutting edge or hammer bullets in. All of you copper haters might want to check them out. They break apart in the animal and are lethal. I just like the High BCs but my opinion shot placement is king.

Great story Steve and glad it ended well! Congrats to your daughter. Shes got one hell of a mentor. I spoke to a guy yesterday who helped another guy track a deer he shot in Laguna mountain for 3 hrs and they didnt recover. The guy was going to try again the next day. It was archery since it was Laguna.

F all the metal talk... rage hypo leave more of a 50. Cal blood trail then Anything.

also NBK, I run the 127 grain barns lrx out of my ruger american 6.5CM, has a 1-8 twist Barrel. It is lights out further then I’d send rnds at an animal.

what california legal rnd should I shoot with a 1-8 twist barrel if that is to slow of a twist rate???? I have never put it through paper past 200 yards and it is sub moa with no punch marks at all.

My concern is say At 3-400 yards the round starts to wobble, and it hits cockeyed. Not so good whit expansion at that point.

1-8 is perfect for the 6.5 127 LRX

That's the way the Ticks have been for Every dang one of the Deer I've taken outta D15. Ya open their rear legs and it's just Eeesh! Gives ya the heebie-jeebies how damn many there are, and they are all over their junk too! Poor guys.

That's the way the Ticks have been for Every dang one of the Deer I've taken outta D15. Ya open their rear legs and it's just Eeesh! Gives ya the heebie-jeebies how damn many there are, and they are all over their junk too! Poor guys.

Hence, why I sprayed him with tick killer...No problem.

Dang I don’t know I have seen that many ticks on a single deer that’s insane congratulations to her for killing a buck.

Wal-Mart's cheapest....Eliminator Ant, spider, & roach killer...They start dying immediately...Spray the carpet or tarp too.

ps...Did you know opossums eat 5,000 ticks a day?
Yes, I actually did know that about them, which is why I don't kill them when they get in the yard and make the dogs go nuts at 2am+. I just shoo them away, even though it takes forever.

Wal-Mart's cheapest....Eliminator Ant, spider, & roach killer...They start dying immediately...Spray the carpet or tarp too.

ps...Did you know opossums eat 5,000 ticks a day?

All those ticks are revolting! Do you spray it directly onto the skin? Before or after gutting?

Reactions: TheGDog
I hate copper compared to the easy kill lead gives.

Copper is a bone crusher but is a pin hole in & out.....no blood, they need lots of speed to peel pedals for a bigger wound channel.
I love TSX, it's match grade accurate & Texas heart shot or front facing all good!

But broadside behind the shoulder is not your friend anymore......and always put TWO in them with copper!

Remember copper solids were designed for dangerous game to be bone crushers on 3k lbs BG.

I've seen good results when applied correctly.....put 2 in them or hit bone or 24" mass......
Remember...
it's not lead.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
Copper is a bone crusher but is a pin hole in & out.....no blood, they need lots of speed to peel pedals for a bigger wound channel.
I love TSX, it's match grade accurate & Texas heart shot or front facing all good!
That's literally what happened to my doe last week in my first experience with copper (Barnes Vortx). Killed her DRT, obliterating the shoulder, but had a pinhole entry and pinhole exit with the bullet lodged in the back ham. Not sure what would've been if it were a through and through with no bone smashing.20191101_193109.jpg

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
That's literally what happened to my doe last week in my first experience with copper (Barnes Vortx). Killed her DRT, obliterating the shoulder, but had a pinhole entry and pinhole exit with the bullet lodged in the back ham. Not sure what would've been if it were a through and through with no bone smashing.View attachment 41908

It would have done the same thing.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu