I need to stop this

GUNDOGLOVER

Dec 5, 2018
I went and did it again. Got on the Mustang out of H&M landing, ( parking sucks) First thing the skipper said, if you have spinning gear, take it back to you vehicle. The yellow and blue fin we have been getting are 25-85 lbs, with a average of 35+. He wasn't BSing. We stared our drift at about 6 AM and didn't star engines until 7:30 last night. These blue fin were some of the strongest I have ever caught. My fight went on for just over and hour. My friend who is twenty years younger got one slightly smaller and went took longer to get on the deck. I stopped at four total, one blue fin three yellow fin for a total of 140 lbs. + or -. My biggest was 50 lbs, so they said. Maybe, maybe not, who am I to disagree. The highlight of the day was when we got a visit from a Mako shark that was somewhere near 500 LBS. He ate well until they were able to convince him leaving was for the best. I'll leave it at that. I was about five feet away when he got a tune just before clearing the rail and took the tail off another. I think this was my last trip for the year. I have no idea how muck canned, smoked and vac. packaged but I'm in the process of doing more. I might go again to try for a cow.

.11-19 tuna 2.jpg11-19 tuna 5.jpg11-19 tuna 6.jpg11-19 tuna.jpg11-19 tuna3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and did it again. Got on the Mustang out of H&M landing, ( parking sucks) First thing the skipper said, if you have spinning gear, take it back to you vehicle. The yellow and blue fin we have been getting are 25-85 lbs, with a average of 35+. He wasn't BSing. We stared our drift at about 6 AM and didn't star engines until 7:30 last night. These blue fin were some of the strongest I have ever caught. My fight went on for just over and hour. My friend who is twenty years younger got one slightly smaller and went took longer to get on the deck. I stopped at four total, one blue fin three yellow fin for a total of 140 lbs. + or -. My biggest was 50 lbs, so they said. Maybe, maybe not, who am I to disagree. The highlight of the day was when we got a visit from a Mako shark that was somewhere near 500 LBS. He ate well until they were able to convince him leaving was for the best. I'll leave it at that. I was about five feet away when he got a tune just before clearing the rail and took the tail off another. I think this was my last trip for the year. I have no idea how muck canned, smoked and vac. packaged but I'm in the process of doing more. I might go again to try for a cow.

it looks like you had lots of fun!!!
Great eating right there...

Reactions: outdoorhero42
Son and I had the same kind of action on a PB on Tuesday. If you want tuna, get out there NOW! We were just above the 226 with everyone else!IMG_20191112_163346.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_163117.jpg
    IMG_20191112_163117.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191112_141437.jpg
    IMG_20191112_141437.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20191112_101235.jpg
    IMG_20191112_101235.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191112_100824.jpg
    IMG_20191112_100824.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191112_100307_MP.jpg
    IMG_20191112_100307_MP.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 22
Way to go guys. There is some good grade YFT out there right now. I have a friend who is kicking himself for not going on my last trip and he is trying to talk me into going again real soon. Maybe if I hold out long enough he will offer to pay for my trip. Socal is correct, better get out there before they disappear.

Reactions: socalhntr
this last trip was a 1.75 day trip, they depart at 11 AM normaly get to fishing grounds in time to get in a few hrs. of fishing that day. Then depending on what the target fish is they can start in the dark or just try find a school, either boiling or mark them. You will fish all day into the dark, then get back to dock by 6 AM. This trip included meals, price was $400. Almost all boats are getting 10 fish limits. That is for boats out of San Diego. Boats out of LB Usually can't get to the good fishing ground on anything other than two day trips. The 1.5 day trips from LB have been doing okay but not limits.

I find when I lose fish it's general operator error. Drag to tight, or touching drag on a run. Sometimes to light line. I learned to check my drag several times during the day and to never touch drag once a fish is on, never. Sometimes it just happens.

I find when I lose fish it's general operator error. Drag to tight, or touching drag on a run. Sometimes to light line. I learned to check my drag several times during the day and to never touch drag once a fish is on, never. Sometimes it just happens.
indeed. Here is something for you to either laugh or feel bad about.
I own a boat, .I can dive to 70' in a single breathold and shoot a 150lb blue fin tuna or a 70lbs WSB but I can't fish for shit. I don't know how.
I had 20lb test mono on a bass pole / reel Penn $120 spinner combo, the only fishing pole I have ever owned and I bought it last week..lol.,..the drag was either too loose or to tight, the pole would bent a lot and I would loose the bait and the hook..(#1 closed hook I think)...so my theory is that I don't know how to tight a knot...lol. Seriously I have only caught YT on surface irons with friends poles once. My freezer has always fish but is all speared....so yeah.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu