I shouldn't have kept my ears open

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
With all the poaching activity lately I've been keeping my ears open and I've heard enough to make me feel sick to my stomach and say f it all. My primary hunting area has had a massive population in the general vicinity in past years and now it's down to around 4 toms for a huge area. I have 3 areas near my house in ramona where there's always birds that I enjoy going to just to call to them and take photos since you can't legally hunt them. In my first area there were 5 toms at the start of the spring now down to 3. Spot 2 15 or more toms at the start of the spring. Now down to 2 and a jake. Spot 3 at least 3 at start of season now down to a whopping 0. With 2 killed by a guy I heard bragging about it at east county bait and tackle. This is a picture of the biggest flock I watch. So few left now I want to cry. This was at the start of this year. They may be renewable resources but not that renewable f*ck poachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wtf, if they are hunting where it is illegal call the authorities on their ass! And if they are bragging about it they are pretty stupid, probably too dumb to be allowed to have a gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Amen Brother! I spoke to a rancher keeper on my hunt today and he said guys are driving up, shooting at the birds on their land while in the back of the truck...thinning the breeding area (what he calls his ranch) to 4 Toms as you mentioned...he has trail cams out now to catch them as it's always when he's not there...

Damn, that's just crazy! Any chance some of them are falling prey to yotes or cats? I guess if you're hearing guys brag about shooting them, probably not..

I now have the names of the 3 guys that were caught in Pine Hills.....I also have the names of two more.....We also now know what they drive and where they live. All this info has been given to law enforcement (met with the new warden for over an hour).....We also know this wasn't their 1st rodeo or restricted to just turkeys.....Since a couple are minors, names can't be given out.....One of these times though they will step on their dick, and they won't be minors.....Every writer, newspaper, and hunting website will know who they are..... :mad:

With the turkey population in such dire straits, this kind of activity (drive by shooter/poacher mentality) can not be tolerated. Hell, they probably do the same thing to fall hens)..... ::)

I'm in 100% agreement that poachers must be prosecuted.
Think about how there can be a financial incentive to the DFG or other law enforcement. Unfortunately (just like parking tickets) we need to find a way for law enforcement agencies to pay their bills while also protecting&serving.

Related side note: I once saw an 80 year old in a pickup truck in front of his ranch at 4:30am on opening day of turkey season. He knew to be out there discouraging poachers. He was an exceptional old man (who had undoubtedly lived a great life to have such a ranch) but ranchers shouldn't need to protect their land when we live in the most secure country in the world (I bet that ranch pays $100K+ in annual taxes).

I wish I could snitch on these poaching f*cks but I'm not good with names. PS from know on id suggest that all legal hunters only use shotguns on public or at least put away your bow and take off your release at least when driving so you won't be confused with a poacher. Everyone I know of that's a poacher uses archery gear so that instantly keys everyone in on it.

I've seen poachers using crossbows as well. Didn't understand what I was seeing till it was too late or I'd have reported them. We should all be alert.

Bonejour said:
I've seen poachers using crossbows as well. Didn't understand what I was seeing till it was too late or I'd have reported them. We should all be alert.
Their MO is a silent kill to get in and out undetected. I can't see why anyone would want to kill one just from the road tho. I can't seem to find anything that gets my heart racing more than a bird hung up just out of range. Although I digress if I see one while driving in a legal area and can put a stalk on him you can sure as hell bet I will. And yes it's legal according to a local game warden as long as you have both feet off the road and are not shooting towards a road.

Tbob said:
Damn, that's just crazy! Any chance some of them are falling prey to yotes or cats? I guess if you're hearing guys brag about shooting them, probably not..
There's predators in the area but I'm still seeing lots of hens. The last few days have opened my eyes up a lot. I digress I have looked the other way in the past but no more. The sad thing is it's not just the kids. I know of a firefighter who's a friend of a friends dad who killed one right near the fire station.

Poachers suck!
So does CA offer any incentive to turn in poachers? In WA state, if you turn in a poacher and it leads to a conviction you are awarded 10 bonus points for the deer/elk draws... Seems like guys are more than happy to turn everyone in once they know they will get something in return... Not that you should have to be "rewarded" for turning in a poacher, but it seemed to help up there.. Still tons of poachers though!

Unfortunately thanks to prop 47 (thank you Californians who voted on it), most poaching cases like this will end in a fine and the poacher getting probation. And that's if the the DA decides to prosecute and the poachers are convicted. Best thing to do is to IMMEDIATELY report such activities to CalTip with good usable information like vehicle plate numbers, detailed description of suspects, and detailed location where it happened. Don't wait until you read it on FB or a forum and then decide to tell DFW what happened days, weeks, or month ago.

Matagi said:
Unfortunately thanks to prop 47 (thank you Californians who voted on it), most poaching cases like this will end in a fine and the poacher getting probation. And that's if the the DA decides to prosecute and the poachers are convicted. Best thing to do is to IMMEDIATELY report such activities to CalTip with good usable information like vehicle plate numbers, detailed description of suspects, and detailed location where it happened. Don't wait until you read it on FB or a forum and then decide to tell DFW what happened days, weeks, or month ago.

Yeah - while the honest hunters or gun owners who make a honest mistake - pay big fines.... Like not filling out a tag properly, asking for permission to hunt but dont realize these a building 150 yards away..

:mad:

Poachers are not hunters they are cowards, cowards who can't hunt. Deserve every bit of the book or books that get thrown at them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu