I'm a Game Manager...

It was really hot, and they were all resting on stones at the bottom of this waterfall feature, since shadows were rolling in. When I circled over to the other side of the trail on other side of the ravine/draw... in the last bits of light I thought I saw a coyote, but then the Mama Doe's ears and head came up... and then I realized it was a Mama Doe and her Fawn at the top of the waterfall feature (which was dry since it was summer). So then my brain put two-and-two together and realized that's why there were 7 Lions at bottom of falls... that they probably smelled 'em up there and were waiting for dark before making a stalk perhaps.

So I was like "C-Ya! Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!" and proceeded to continue on up my trail. Nervously putting distance between us, checking my 6 very frequently. (Since I was sporting a freshly bloodied backpack!) Meanwhile... about 1/2 mile further up the trail... the dang flashlight I was carrying (my headlamp was back at the tent, which I was hiking back in to fetch) started to flicker like the batteries were gonna tap-out!

Man... you talk about terror! And Pucker-Factor!! It was basically my 2nd year hunting. So anyhoo, I hurried up and cut the flashlight to conserve whatever juice it had left. Looked around... and it was Half-Moon night, so the line of the trail was sorta decently visible... so I figured I'd just use it to briefly illuminate parts of the trail I couldn't readily see well enough into. Eventually get back to the tent, and let out a sigh of relief as I slipped on the headlamp and checked to make sure I had the extra batteries for the flashlight as well, which I did.

Never forget that night as long as I live. Hunting is cool!

Reactions: Jdub760
Well... I figured they were just chillin' on the stones because they probably felt cool after such a crazy-hot day. (It was already 90+ F at 8:30a that morning when I was processing that deer) And yeah... if one of'em stepped-up like he had somethin' in 'em... hellz to the **ck yeah I'd regulate. I figured if I did have to pop off a round, the others would probably scatter so 6 rds+ bearspray should be good. And I did have the remainder of the box of ammo with me as well.

I'll tell ya though, if it weren't for the fact that my tent was still up back up in there... yeah.. I'd have probably said Bump That and went back to the car and left. But unfortunately... I had to go back in and get my stuff, and now the meat was in the cooler so as they say "times a wastin'" so I had to man-up and press-on in spite of myself. Pressing-on made me nervous, but that part wasn't quite soo bad. 'Cause I figured since they'd have to climb back up outta there it wouldn't be right away... then finding the Mama Doe and Fawn, I knew the Fawn would be their target.

But DUDE... when that flashlight was starting to die on me??? FACK!!! ... THAT feeling of Terror was something I hope to never experience ever again! That isht ramped up my nervousness about the situation like ten-fold! (I carry 3 light sources now J.I.C.)

Yeah I Know!...and I've thought about it many times since then.

With my boy we watched one of those old Wild Kingdom type programs from like when I was a kid and it showed a Lioness (in this instnace I mean MtnLioness), and how she deals with/trains her like 3-4 kittens. But that doesn't explain the other 2 which were adult sized hangin' out as well. I have wondered if they were maybe like the previous seasons kids or something?

Last edited:
Those were African lions from Marlon perkins days....ferocious beasts non the less..

Reactions: nicapopolis
No no... I'm talking about regular old Cougars, Puma, MtnLion. I watched absolutely every single one of those Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom shows! My fav was when they trapped the Leopard with that mortar-propelled net!

BTW... Ed. You being an upper-echelon bow-man and all... who makes a good easily adjustable/tunable bow sight?

I must have over-tightened the set screws for my pins last time I re-adjusted and the washers underneath the allen heads broke and pushed in a little.. so I was thinking I may just opt for upgrading from a 5 to a 7-pin possibly.

I was trying to inspect what kind of sight you had from these pics but unfortunately the focus is a tiny bit off. So figured I'd humbly ask.

P.S. for size comparison purposes, what's the diameter of that Copenhagen container in that one pic?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu