I'm a Game Manager...

That is a good looking Pussy!

Please someone educate me. The legal hunt of the cat is based on what? Are they eating the deer? Are they too close to residential areas? Are there just too many? Are they good eating?

Thank You.

Great hunt sir congrats

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish we could hunt them here, I’m jealous! Shoot I wish we could atleast hunt them in another state and bring them back to freakin California! Congrats though that’s awesome and your a long cut Copenhagen man... good man !

Please someone educate me. The legal hunt of the cat is based on what? Are they eating the deer? Are they too close to residential areas? Are there just too many? Are they good eating?

Thank You.

Management is the easiest answer. You cant kill deer without killing predators as well. Healthy balance.

I have not eaten one, but Ed said he last one tasted awesome. I have heard that from others as well. That alone should be enough reason to kill one.

It makes no sense to me that people can get all worked up about a bear or lion being killed and eaten, but they dont care about deer, elk, or moose. Dead is dead, animal life is animal life.

They won't change their tune until somebodies damn kid gets got. And even THEN it still might not happen because of how blue and full of granola, greenie, tree-hugger, enviro-nazis they've let this state become.

Thank You.

Adding to what Nick already said... just like we're supposed to help manage deer populations we should also manage predators, of which mountain lions are the apex predator here in CA. Unfortunately, our state doesn't let us do that here so we end up with an unmanaged, growing population of lions that run out of land to expand upon since they are territorial predators. So ironically, the same people that want to outlaw management of lions also tend to freak out when they see lions closer to home, preying on farm animals and taking more of our deer. I don't mind lions and actually like them, but I would just like to see CA allow management of them as a resource... I hear they're great eating and would be a great revenue source for DFW if they let us buy tags for hunting. But the protection law says the CDFW can't even recommend a season on them even if they wanted to (which they don't).

Reactions: Jdub760
Adding to what Nick already said... just like we're supposed to help manage deer populations we should also manage predators, of which mountain lions are the apex predator here in CA. Unfortunately, our state doesn't let us do that here so we end up with an unmanaged, growing population of lions that run out of land to expand upon since they are territorial predators. So ironically, the same people that want to outlaw management of lions also tend to freak out when they see lions closer to home, preying on farm animals and taking more of our deer. I don't mind lions and actually like them, but I would just like to see CA allow management of them as a resource... I hear they're great eating and would be a great revenue source for DFW if they let us buy tags for hunting. But the protection law says the CDFW can't even recommend a season on them even if they wanted to (which they don't).

I never thought much about them... until... I had to walk past freakin' 7 of them!!! During last light... Congregated down in the bottom of a Ravine/Draw my trail went around the rim of!

It's all fun and games until reality smirks and goes "Hold My Beer!" to 'dat a$$ when you're all by your lonesome as last light is about to leave. I sincerely wish all them damn tree-huggers could experience the nervousness I felt that night! Man... shoot... I didn't even KNOW they traveled in groups like that!!!

I mean... you know they are there... the signs warn you... but I always figured there were like skittish loners that seldom revealed themselves. Freakin' WRONG!!!

7 lions or 7 tree huggers? Never heard of 7 lions together.... they are very territorial. Ed F

Yup, 7 Lions! 3 adults and 4 juveniles. Had my .30-30 in my hands, with 6 rounds in it. Not a good feeling after doing the math.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu