Impressed by Barnes TSX

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
After a few different attempts I think I have my load for my 30-06 TSX. I am using 168g bullets, a mixture of Remington and Winchester brass, and 49.2 grains of 4064 powder. The gun I am using is a 45 year old Remington Gamemaster 760. It shoots great cold but after 10 shots it gets to hot and unpredictable. I would be happy with 1.5-2" groups but what I was able to get last night makes me a believer in this copper bullet. If I miss a pig next week I know it's not the gun or bullet. As long as it does what everyone swears it will when it hits flesh and bone I think I have my new hunting bullet. Thanks for the recommendation NBK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
Yep great on paper just hit them in the shoulder and they won't run.....

Good luck on your pig hunt

I used a Hornady GMX bullet for my pig hunt last week & it did great. Have you tried to load any Hornady?

Nicholas909 said:
I used a Hornady GMX bullet for my pig hunt last week & it did great. Have you tried to load any Hornady?

The only hornady I load are 55g v-max for my 223 I love them. I will probably be moving over to Barnes Varmint Grenades soon with the lead free stuff going into affect. I have heard a ton of good things about the GMX though. The only reason i went with TSX is a bunch of the guys on the site swear by them. Do you load the GMX or buy factory? What caliber are you shooting?

I load the Barnes Varmint Grenades for my 223 also,and I haven't had a problem with them yet.. I load all my GMX. They shoot great out of my rifles. I load 223, 7mm-08, 270, 300 win mag, 308, & 30-30.

The VG are great but you don't get the flying body parts like lead......it does turn them inside out which is cool

Barnes bullets are some of the best you can get. Here's a picture of one that nailed a 250# hog and another of a three-shot group at 200 yards from a Ruger American .308 using 150 gr. TSX bullets and 47.7 grains of Varget.

Attachments

• Pig hunt 021.JPG
    Pig hunt 021.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 308 200-yard target.JPG
    308 200-yard target.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Jerry - that target is outstanding. The Ruger American continues to amaze me.

The Barnes TSX is our go to bullet. The photo is a recovered 45/70 and 270 win from our last hog hunt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 27
Yes for .270 and .30 cal, and a wide variety of other calibers including .22 and .223. But I don't think they make it in .243 yet, at least according to Cabela's

For factory loads I'd try the GMX Hornady ammo it seem to be a lot more accurate.

ilovesprig said:
Do Barnes TSX's come in any factory loads.....243, 270, or 30-06?

Barnes makes the .243 ammo in an 80 grain TTSX. It has a velocity of 3350 fps and the part number is #21522. Fine Firearms has it in stock.

Yup, GMX is an excellent all-copper bullet, and Hornady makes factory ammo for .243 Win as well as the other calibers mentioned. I've used GMX factory loads in my 30-06 and have been very happy with them. Neither Barnes nor Hornady sells all-copper 180gr ammo; 168gr is the closest I've found and it is fine for what I do in the lead-free zone. I haven't compared accuracy between Hornady and Barnes factory TSX or TTSX ammo.

BARNES Vor-Tx .30-06 Springfield 180 Grain Tipped Triple Shock X-Bullet Boattail
UPC Number: 716876030682 Part #21533

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu