IN THE DARK

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
When you guys are walking into your spot in the dark. Do you use a flashlight?
Or go in in the dark with no light. I have heard that the light does not spook Deer.

Both...depends where I am, who I am with and how well I know the area. Also depends if I am walking into an area to hunt or leaving.

I like a headlight to keep my hands free. I use the red light to not spook game and it doesn't travel far, just enough to see the trail and markers.

Prefer not to use a light so others can not see you and if there is enough natural moon light. In wooded canopy areas it is hard to get by with out being able to use a light not to enjoyable either you have your light off then when you turn it on there is a mountain lion looking you in the face. After this past early season I caught myself scanning while on my way in and out not sure if the light does have any effect on deer in the dark. I'm assuming we will never know being that we will not see them more than 30 yards away (as we are moving and they will catch the movement). One night as I walk out I shined a very powerful led sure fire flash light in a flat where I watched a few does feed into was 60 -70 yards away and watched them feed and curiously look into the light they were not scared.

No lights unless the footing is dangerous and then only for a moment or two, not so important in truly wild country but my experience has been that critters in hunted country learn that lights and scent are bad to be around.

Snake Charmer said:
No lights unless the footing is dangerous and then only for a moment or two, not so important in truly wild country but my experience has been that critters in hunted country learn that lights and scent are bad to be around.

Agreed. Unless I'm worried about losing my footing, I won't use a light. I have no idea if it spooks game but it's just how I was taught. A bear and a deer under my belt with no light is evidence enough for me. And both were within 40 yards.

Depends what I am hunting but when I am by myself I have a headlight and a bright flashlight that can reach out there. There is way to many cats in the country I hunt so I like to see where I am going. If there is deer or elk in the area you will spook them with your walking noise as much as them seeing your flashlight. A few years ago I shot a deer right at dusk and had to use my cell phone light to get me back to my mountain bike and back to the truck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu