Is this a Bufflehead? By awful score so far..

One thing about the Buffles we shot - they're hard as hell to hit. They fly low and very fast. The small size doesn't help.

I'm cooking her up today for lunch, all 2 ounces of it. I'll report back. I'm looking forward to finding out who in this thread can and cannot cook ;-P

One thing about the Buffles we shot - they're hard as hell to hit. They fly low and very fast. The small size doesn't help.

I'm cooking her up today for lunch, all 2 ounces of it. I'll report back. I'm looking forward to finding out who in this thread can and cannot cook ;-P

Ben,

Invest in a Jaccard...I have found that waterfowl meat can be very dense...Also, add seasoning before using tenderizer...Hot skillet, don't over cook... :yum

ps...This rabbit, but you get the idea

.Jaccard.JPG

You don't really think a new hunter should be able to correctly identify every duck in the air, right? If you haven't hit the mallard hen or pintail limit what is the harm in shooting a duck you can't 100% identify in the air?

I've been on guided hunts where guides who have guided for decades misidentify ducks in the air once in a while.
If you can’t id it you shouldn’t be shooting at it !
Growing up my Dad, Grandpa and Uncle would not let me shoot if couldn’t tell them what kind of bird it was !
I was given a pass the first year at 10, but the following year no pass given.
Yeah I have mis- identified birds at a distance but not as gun
comes up !
Got checked a couple years ago by a Warden while shooting Eurasians. He asked me how I could tell if it was a Euro or Mourning dove and that it must be difficult to be sure.
I proceeded to explain to him that Euro and Mournings have very different wing beats and flight modes.
Right then a Euro came; I said “see how pronounced the wing beats are on this bird coming ?” Yeah !
Bang ! Walked over picked it up and said de this is a Eurasian !
Lol !

Reactions: duck-boy
OK guys... cooked it; the tiny legs and breasts in nothing but butter, with salt and pepper, in an iron skillet with high heat. Rare with a good sear.

DELICIOUS.

Too bad it was just a few bites. My girls loved it too.. they fought over the last leg. If this is a 'bad duck' I can't wait to taste a good one.

I love Hank Shaw, and if you don't have his game cook books, you are missing out. He hangs his ducks for 1 to 3 days unless they've been gut shot. My garage isn't cool enough for it (50 to 55 degrees), but I defeinitely delayed in cleaning the duck. Shot it Sunday morning. Cleaned it up Monday night, ate it just now. It's, apparently, not as good as hanging it, but it was surprising how the taste was nothing but sublime.

Terrific my man! I'll take it and 1 of the dogs, just PM the price.

Oh, BTW, tracker stopped making Jon boats - I called Angler's in Lakeside and they don't know when manufacturing will resume. Apparently, for Covid, they slimmed down what they were making..

Hemet, however, has both Lund and Lowe.. so we'll see!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Two options that are not the mass produced toys....

If you don't mind a drive circle h in Alabama. They built my hull and it's freaking amazing. They will custom make anything to your specs and at a great price.

For a finished boat another option is widdow maker in Utah. He builds the best complete duck boats on earth.

Not saying the other boats are bad but as with anything, there are boats and then there are BOATS

20181222_114458.jpg

Schwacked a couple buffheads.. Moose loved um...Blue...not so much... Blue is my favorite out of the 2...Screenshot_20211221-175332~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@Horto619 That looks amazing - was just reading about using paraffin wax to get the nice skin. My bird was small though.. so I took just the breasts and legs. Wish I had a nice roaster like that. With those potatoes. wow..

@Aeon Thanks for the heads up on that. Tracker AND Lund are out of the Jon boat business at least for 2022 as well. Just Lowe is all there is. Getting quotes on those, and there's a 6 to 8 month wait for them.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu