It Never Gets Old...Turkey Opener 2020

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Great opener for Stefanie, Jacob, and I...Had some jakes come in in the morning, but by 8:30 am, it was dead...We had brought our dogs with us to the Lake Henshaw cabin...So, we went back and let them out...We headed back to the Julian mountains at about 11:00 am...At about 12:00 pm, we got gobbles from behind us...After about 15 minutes of soft calling, we had them walking down to the Dave Smith decoys...One walks by, then a 2nd, then a 3rd longbeard, and they all head for the jake decoy...After they pass only 5 yds from us, Stefanie puts her Benelli 20 gauge up with a custom TSS loads...As the biggest of the 3 clears the other 2, she lets loose...Down he goes!...Almost at the same time, Jacob smacks the one next to him...The 3rd bird jumps in the air and just starts to walk off...Stefanie gives me her gun (since I was just calling), and I knock down #3...What an exciting hunt and a great way to start the season!

Stefanie's gobbler was a monster...25-8 lbs, 10 1/2" broom, and 1 1/2" spurs...The other 2 weren't little guys...20-14 and 21-10 lbs respectively.

ps...MCC had a very good opener...Friends Robert and Mike scored jakes...Buddy Ted got a nice long.

.001_Moment(2).jpg001_Moment(5).jpg001_Moment(7).jpg002.JPG068.JPG093.JPG

Last edited:
Strong work Steve and Kids!!! Never gets old for sure..shot my first turkey 42 years ago in the State of Hawaii...been a wild ride ever since! Turkeys are a blast!

Nice bird!!! Pay to play. Maybe one day I’ll sack up and pay the membership to get me a bird. Until then I’ll hunt the adjacent CNF land.

Awesome Steve! Well done. Sounds like a lot of fun. I may have to motivate to get after one of those things this year...

It's nice to see.all those smiles.
Great family outing.
Congratz

Nice bird!!! Pay to play. Maybe one day I’ll sack up and pay the membership to get me a bird. Until then I’ll hunt the adjacent CNF land.

[/QUOTE... man i hate private land pay to play guys...just jump out of the truck and Kapoow!! Longbeard down!! No game what so ever..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this was MCC or what you call Pay to Play but being on the other side of a fence doesn't guarantee anything especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah, Jeff I am not sure he understands what "pay to play" is. He might think MCC is like Big Horn Canyon Ranch or something...

Paying for access is somewhat normal. Even if I don't pay a certain dollar amount for access the landowner still gets some sort of gift from me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu