Jaguar in San Diego

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
This photo was shared with me by a Border patrol agent today. The photo is from a few years back in San Diego. It was located between Alpine and Descanso. No doubt they are seen in Mexico and in Arizona from time to time but this is a cool sighting. He also shared a video of a black bear walking across highway 8 in 2013. Very cool to meet people with all these cool stories

IMG_7980.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some good stories about Macho B and El Jefe in Arizona. More sightings are occurring as time goes on.

Fact:

More humans are killed by jaguars than any other cat in the world.

How would you like to be quail hunting in Southern Arizona and bump one of those bad boys. 400+ pounds of scary!

Hunted Mearns quail with a fellow years ago that ran dogs on lions in southern Az and his dogs would put one up every once in awhile. he told me how impressed he was with their size but from his adventures didn't seem too be much afraid of them. Maybe it had to do with the cat being surounded by dogs ...

Reactions: KoozeDeer
Hunted Mearns quail with a fellow years ago that ran dogs on lions in southern Az and his dogs would put one up every once in awhile. he told me how impressed he was with their size but from his adventures didn't seem too be much afraid of them. Maybe it had to do with the cat being surounded by dogs ...
How cool would that be to see one on foot!

Reactions: NBK
Probably would not be a pretty sight for dogs trying to bay a jaguar. Could get a bit fuzzy.

Love stories like that. It adds to thrill of being in the wilderness knowing there could be just about anything out there. Still hoping to catch a glimpse of a mountain lion some day. As long as it’s headed the other way lol.

Love stories like that. It adds to thrill of being in the wilderness knowing there could be just about anything out there. Still hoping to catch a glimpse of a mountain lion some day. As long as it’s headed the other way lol.

Kevin,

I've spent my entire life in the mountains of SoCal and the Sierra's...And, I still haven't seen a lion while hunting or fishing............... ;)

Probably would not be a pretty sight for dogs trying to bay a jaguar. Could get a bit fuzzy.
In some parts of Africa it was pretty common to run dogs on leopard. Don’t know what breeds they used though. I expect they’d have to be pretty scrappy.

The bear story was interesting.. I believe a BP cam caught him in a culvert off Inkopah Road, which is really dry, rocky high desert terrain. Weird for a bear to be all the way out there.

As for the jaguar, isn't the Lions Tigers and Bears zoo between Alpine and Descanso.. maybe someone forgot to lock up the jag enclosure..

Reactions: NBK
Update: I had a biologist from AZ contact me last night. He was asking for more details about the photo. I told him where exactly the photo was taken, he mentioned that jaguars have been spotted in California. However it has been a very very long time since a confirmed sighting.

Trig, never saw Mtn. Lion till 2008. I was in the hills outside of Coalinga on a pig hunt on some private land that 2 buddies and I had been given permission to hunt.
1st day we were sitting at the edge of a ravine looking down about 400 yards into the bottom that had a lot of bushes and in some years a small creek that pigs used.
We had been sitting there for almost a hour when I saw something move across the ravine. I lost it for a second then thru the the binoculars I see it a big Tom traversing the hill straight across from us.
Just as I said “ Oh shat” he spotted us and stopped , staring right at us.
My buddies couldn’t find him at first, by the time they did he had sat down just checking us out. One buddy wanted to shoot; I told him don’t even think about it. After 5 minutes or see he got up and walked into some bushes nearby.
I was stoked to see one; but after another 5 minutes or so I had this uneasy feeling that I could no longer find or see him.
I told my buddies I was moving to higher ground that didn’t have so many bushes; I didn’t like the idea that he could come up right in front of us without us ever seeing him.
My buddies decided to stay put and I hot footed up to more open ground. I sat back down and started glassing again when my buddies came up the trail. “ What happened, why did you move?” My buddy said “ the longer we sat there we started worrying about how close he could get without us seeing him !” Lol !!!
Never saw him again. But the next day we went back in the same area where we spotted the cat; not 15 feet from where we had been sitting were tracks I’d never seen before but knew it was no house cat.
One of my buddies said” Dude I’m out of here ! “ LMAO!
Now the comedy begins!
That 2nd afternoon one of my buddies decided to stay in camp and rest. Me and the other guy went to an area where there were a small spring fed water hole and a wallow. After a little discussion I chose the wallow and my partner headed up to the spring about 1/4 mile above me.
I decided to sit up against a big tree looking down at the wallow. An hour later I hear what I believe are pigs following the base of the hills to my right. The closer they got I could hear them clearly but they weren’t turning into the wallow area so I just kept scooting my butt more right and more right till the noise stopped. I thought to myself “ Oh well maybe they will keep going to spring and my buddy Billy might have a chance at one.”
So I decided to turn back to face wallow. Had been sitting there a while when I had this thought about the big Tom we had seen; we weren’t far from where we saw him and he could step out anywhere.
“ Dam I wish I had a shotgun” was my thought.
When all of a sudden all hell broke loose ! Unknown to me a covey of quail had walked right up to my left side before realizing I was there. When they busted it scared the crap out of me ! My initial thought was about the Tom and I was a dead man !
Needless to say I had to change my chonies when we got back to camp !
LMAO !!!!!

The bear story was interesting.. I believe a BP cam caught him in a culvert off Inkopah Road, which is really dry, rocky high desert terrain. Weird for a bear to be all the way out there.

As for the jaguar, isn't the Lions Tigers and Bears zoo between Alpine and Descanso.. maybe someone forgot to lock up the jag enclosure..

I was wondering the same thing regarding the cat. It could have been someones who got loose as well.

Someone got a picture of a black bear on wildcat canyon in Ramona a few years back. Maybe 5 years ago?

We get a bear up in Victorville/Apple Valley every couple of years:

I spotted a mountain lion up in Big Bear while scouting scouting this past August. It wasn't more than 700 yards from highway 18 (I was scouting from my Honda Civic, so sticking to paved roads). I thought it was really cool to be able to see one, but hopefully spotting these things doesn't become a more regular occurrence.Mountain Lion.jpg

Doesn't surprise me at all that occasionally one crosses into CA. My brother and I came across a huge cat near Angelus Oaks about 6 or 7 years ago. It was basically 40 yards from us and once it noticed that we were aware of it, it took off. It was curious but I got the vibe that it was just trying to hold still until we passed.

I have done some serious traveling in Central America (Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia...) which both have healthy populations of Puma and Jags and one thing I can tell you from some of the local people I was talking to (mainly in Nicaragua, and Panama) are not concerned with Pumas, but are more concerned about Jags. What I gathered from the locals is that if you see a Puma you stand your ground just as we do here. If you come across a Jag you get the hell out of dodge. Apparently they do not get spooked very easily and are pretty bold. A guy I became friends with in Panama told me a story of these European girls had a dispute with the local hotel they were staying at and took off to find a new place to stay. They ended up taking a wrong turn and got lost. 5 days later they found their bodies with skulls cracked, chest walls ripped open, hearts missing, and typical Jaguar attack evidence. They have a bite force that can crush a skull like nothing. That is there go to method of killing prey. So that being said, if I was actively hunting in an area with any possible sightings of a Jag, I would go with a hunting buddy and my head would be on a swivel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu