June 6th 1944

My father, Colonel Clyde S. Cherry USAF, was a bomber pilot with the 8th Air Force in England during WWll. He was originally assigned 25 missions, which was barely survivable, then it went to 30 because so many pilots were lost and then to 40 because almost all of the pilots were lost. He flew 4 missions on D-day and was shot down over France on his 4th. Took a week, with help of French Partisans, to make it back to the Allied lines. Got some shrapnel in his face on that last mission. Spent the next 28 years in the Air Force, Korea and Vietnam, working as a fighter pilot and test pilot.

He did all this simply because, back then, young men had great pride in the United States and every kid wanted to do his patriotic duty and take his share of the risk, which was enormous. Not so today, in my opinion. For those of you whose kids join voluntarily and wear the uniform, strictly out of patriotic pride, God bless. You and your family are carrying on a tradition that is in danger of disappearing.

Memorial Day, the 4th of July, D-Day, Veteran's Day, Pearl Harbor Day---without the men and women who served so valiantly, we'd all be speaking Japanese or German and polishing the boots of some SS Officer.

God Bless the men and women who served.

Tears in my eyes again.

Monument right side up on second attachment.

Attachments

• Dad's monument.jpg
    Dad's monument.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Dad's monument.jpg
    Dad's monument.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
My father, Colonel Clyde S. Cherry USAF, was a bomber pilot with the 8th Air Force in England during WWll. He was originally assigned 25 missions, which was barely survivable, then it went to 30 because so many pilots were lost and then to 40 because almost all of the pilots were lost. He flew 4 missions on D-day and was shot down over France on his 4th. Took two weeks, with help of French Partisans, to make it back to the Allied lines. Got some shrapnel in his face on that last mission. Spent the next 28 years in the Air Force, Korea and Vietnam, working as a fighter pilot and test pilot.

He did all this simply because, back then, young men had great pride in the United States and every kid wanted to do his patriotic duty and take his share of the risk, which was enormous. Not so today, in my opinion. For those of you whose kids join voluntarily and wear the uniform, strictly out of patriotic pride, God bless. You and your family are carrying on a tradition that is in danger of disappearing.

Memorial Day, the 4th of July, D-Day, Veteran's Day, Pearl Harbor Day---without the men and women who served so valiantly, we'd all be speaking Japanese or German and polishing the boots of some SS Officer.

God Bless the men and women who served.

Tears in my eyes again.

Monument right side up on second attachment.
Rest his soul.

Reactions: doccherry
If you have time, here's an article I wrote for American Handgunner.

Great article about a great man. My oldest boy 15 is starting to do the leg work to join the Air Force Academy in Colorado.

Great article about a great man. My oldest boy 15 is starting to do the leg work to join the Air Force Academy in Colorado.
My brother went thru the Air Force Academy, was a pilot for 20 years. Any info your son needs, let me know and I'll put him in contact with my brother. You and your sons are patriots, sir.

Hard core...the tuffest generation there ever was or will be..

Reactions: ilovesprig
Dr,

My father just passed away...Greatest generation indeed... :heart:

ps...The non military mentality started with my generation...As I graduated from high school, we were bombarded with anti Viet Nam and anti military propaganda...Like many, I had college deferments and did what was necessary to stay out of the military...The exact opposite of my dad, who did everything he could to get into war/military...Like most, I got drafted and joined the national guard (I had just signed with the Orioles)...Before I could leave, the 1st lottery came out...As things worked out, I never got called to duty.

Our military men and women are the true heroes of this great country...God bless them all....

.salute.jpg

Lost an uncle that I never knew in the airborne invasion on June 6th He was killed by gunfire before he hit the ground (illegal by the Geneva convention). He was 101st airborne. I still have the telegram sent to my mom when she was notified of his death. I have had the privelidge of getting to know my wife's caregivers father who was part of the test battery that founded the airborne and who fought in Italy and Europe with both the 82nd and 101st as an airborne artillerymen who is now 101 years old. He accumullated two bronze stars a silverstar and multiple purple hearts, Look him up on the web his name is Joseph P Stolmeier from Davenport Iowa 82nd airborne. My father was a naval aviator who fought in WW2 Korea and Viet Nam and commanded a squadron in Viet Nam. No greater generation has ever existed on this planet. My father is where I learned the value of doing the right thing.

Lost an uncle that I never knew in the airborne invasion on June 6th He was killed by gunfire before he hit the ground (illegal by the Geneva convention). He was 101st airborne. I still have the telegram sent to my mom when she was notified of his death. I have had the privelidge of getting to know my wife's caregivers father who was part of the test battery that founded the airborne and who fought in Italy and Europe with both the 82nd and 101st as an airborne artillerymen who is now 101 years old. He accumullated two bronze stars a silverstar and multiple purple hearts, Look him up on the web his name is Joseph P Stolmeier from Davenport Iowa 82nd airborne. My father was a naval aviator who fought in WW2 Korea and Viet Nam and commanded a squadron in Viet Nam. No greater generation has ever existed on this planet. My father is where I learned the value of doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Dr,

My father just passed away...Greatest generation indeed... :heart:

ps...The non military mentality started with my generation...As I graduated from high school, we were bombarded with anti Viet Nam and anti military propaganda...Like many, I had college deferments and did what was necessary to stay out of the military...The exact opposite of my dad, who did everything he could to get into war/military...Like most, I got drafted and joined the national guard (I had just signed with the Orioles)...Before I could leave, the 1st lottery came out...As things worked out, I never got called to duty.

Our military men and women are the true heroes of this great country...God bless them all....

.View attachment 54407
More tears. An old Gyrene, but the tears still flow. So sorry about your dad, Steve. He raised a great kid. Take care all and God bless your dad and the Greatest Generation.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu