junior opener this weekend, whos going...?

wiley

Feb 11, 2014
taking my 2 grandkids, staying in a cabin in henshaw, who else is going...?

told my grandkids no jakes, only toms so it may be a long weekend, only seeing jakes and jennys at our spots, may make a run out to the IV for coyote and Euro depending how our mornings go...

Good luck to all the kids this weekend,...

D16hunter said:
I'm going out this weekend for my last jr season. Hunting both days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck Luke. .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Taking a Junior out for the Santa Ysabel Youth Hunt Sunday. Hopefully, we get some birds to cooperate for the kids! Good luck to everyone heading out.

I'll be going out one of the days with my dad. Had some bad timing the past few weekends and were only able to get out a few times and scout, didn't find much sign in usual spots and only saw birds in private land. My weekend will be more scouting with a shotgun than hunting

I've got 20 of them this week-end.......lol......Well I'm just the chairman for the youth hunt in Santa Ysabel Preserve..... ;D

My 2 kids may not get one, but we should be close to some...... ;)

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    685.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    584.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    931.7 KB · Views: 36
It's go time......2:00 am is going to come early......Good night...... :-*

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    780.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 330.JPG
    330.JPG
    866.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    865.1 KB · Views: 33
I took my daughter out this morning had a awesome morning we could hear the birds calling to each other a bout an hour later we had a big tom strutting down the hill coming in to my box call gobbling everything was going great until a guy driving by spotted him in the field and began to call from his truck! He Stopped the bird in his tracks about 50 yards away with only twenty more yards to go for a shot opportunity! I wanted to yell at him instead I whistled at him very loudly I heard a "oh s$&@" and heard him drive off, thanks guy!
The tom didn't spook but he stopped strutting after that and fed the other way calling. We were bummed nonetheless my daughter thought that bird was as good as dead the way he was coming in! Oh well we'll get him next time hopefully! Anybody have any luck today?

Pretty slow out here, trying again today

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Came very close yesterday......Right on the flydown we had a gobbler land 40 yds to our right. Unfortunately, the boy was a right handed shooter....He moved a little and the bird gobbled off.....Then at 11:00 am, they were ready to go.....At about 11:55 am, 2 big gobblers literally walked where are decoys were.....Another hour or so and another one walked by our blind (pic).....Patience is a virtue..... ;)

We did have a hen come in and beat up the DSD's.....And Chase's boy got a beauty..... 8)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    792.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    730.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    933.3 KB · Views: 29
We went out with Chase today to site 6, site 7 hit twice Saturday and Sunday. My son had a great time even though he didn't get a shot at a jake or tom. He handled his gun well and safely, stayed still for a good long time. Sadly we only saw 2 hens, one invesigated our decoy and the other flew-by. We heard gobbling in morning then it all fell off silent. My son learned how to use his slate from Chase, after I tried to teach him but I didn't know how to use it apparently. The boy wants to go back so a success.

I would love to thank Steve, Chase and Tanner (for the ride out and back). We ll be back and had a great time.

I was able to get out today with my dad. Slow all morning through mid day. We hiked around a little in the afternoon trying to get back into a meadow we have hunted in the past and we spotted a large sized bird with a definite beard but couldn't quite tell what is was (Tom/jake). We sat down and called and realized it was actually a bearded hen. She got to about 100 yards and worked her way back up a hill. Nothing else came through the rest of the afternoon. Still cool to see them and be back out there

One of our youth hunters passed on a bearded hen today.....Great gesture on his part.....Especially since we announced to all mentors that bearded hens were off limits..... ::)

I agree with that decision.....I won't be taking any bearded hens.....hopefully other people will lay off them as well

Gmghunt101 said:
I agree with that decision.....I won't be taking any bearded hens.....hopefully other people will lay off them as well

I wouldn't count on it. I would be supportive of shutting down fall Turkey until 2018. Even if we didn't hunt Turkey for two years the lack of rain has really seemed to put the hurt on the birds. With that said I will be out this weekend turkey hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu