Keeping your dog cool

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
With the other thread on crates getting hijacked I thought I would start one on its own about keeping your dog cool. Hunting the desert has its upside and down side. A big down is the heat.

Something I started doing last year and it just stupid simple is to use a pressurized sprayer and hit their ears and belly. I got a rinsekit sprayer last year and it's perfect http://rinsekit.com

Nothing can keep your dog running when it's 120 out but this does a good job of making sure your dog gets home alive on normal days. I watched a guy in my group in Mexico run his dog to death. Even after repeated warnings he continued to push his dog. The dog died of heat stroke that day and Temps were only low 90s. He was excommunicated, sad day for the dog and owner. All of it could have been avoided with just a little care.

That sucks. The gsp's especially will just run and run and run. I got an RV water pump and a 5 gallon Colman water jug hooked up to a pressure switch and a garden hose. I can pull water out at a good speed to water the dog or cleans muddy window or even wet my self. It works great to keep the dog wet and cool.

And give them a break on fetch after fetch like during dove season they can't cool off with a bird in their mouth.

If you guys had a 20lbs dog you just dip them and toss them in the kennel.....haha

I think it was John who said he mixes electrolytes into their water as well? Anyone else ever do this does your dog have an issue drinking it? This might sound stupid but what about electrolyte water with a little bacon flavoring in it. I swear sometimes I want to strangle my dog when hunting because all she wants to do is hunt and I have to force her to drink.

https://www.olivenation.com/bacon-natural-flavor.html?gclid=CKffytymqM4CFYVqfgodG9EG8Q

Last edited:
My dogs like the blue colored one the best or orange I tried the rest and no go on them.

I don't want to have to buy bacon flavored water but hey if it's what they like gotta do it

My dog drinks way to fast and chokes on his water. I carry a small bowl and 32oz of water with me just for the dog longer trips more. When in the valley 90+deg. We all know it's more like 120! I do give him gator aid in his bowl at the truck. About 1/2 and 1/2. He drinks what ever I put in front of him.

I carry a gallon jug in a pack. With it is one of those large margarine containers. He gets watered and sits in the shade when I tell him, which is often. Too much time in to have a dog die stupidly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu