Killed a few birds yesterday

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Since the turkey hunting has sucked this year we went down to the valley to hunt yesterday and killed 17 euros 8 pigeons and the worlds most retarded jackrabbit

Re: Killed a few birds yesterday

Cool. I drove through IV on the way to Tucson yesterday. Lots of euros and pigeons both sides of I-8.

MJB said:
You sure that's a jack?

Someone else in SoCal posted a picture of a "Jack" one time on a forum..........It's still one of the great moments of outdoor forum chat........... :D

Are you readily able to tell the difference between a eurasian and another species? As a novice, it seems like I'd be setting myself up for breaking the law if I went after eurasians alone.

SD Mike said:
Are you readily able to tell the difference between a eurasian and another species? As a novice, it seems like I'd be setting myself up for breaking the law if I went after eurasians alone.
It's hard to tell them apart but it's possible don't shoot unless your 100% certain of the species. I tell them apart by a squarish tail and white on the tips of the tail feathers

Mike,

They're actually pretty easy to tell the difference between the mourning doves......White wings can be a little more difficult because the shape of the head and the square tail......Also, mourning doves fly differently.....Mourning doves will fly quite low often and they dart......Euros fly higher when coming in and drop fast. They also fly more with a loping motion.....Normally a big difference in size too.

Let's go out some day.

Attachments

• opening dove 2012 006.JPG
    opening dove 2012 006.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 37
  • dove opener 9-1-11 029.JPG
    dove opener 9-1-11 029.JPG
    951.1 KB · Views: 47
D16hunter said:
Since the turkey hunting has sucked this year we went down to the valley to hunt yesterday and killed 17 euros 8 pigeons and the worlds most retarded jackrabbit

You know the rules Luke. No pic and no love... :'(

NBK said:
D16hunter said:

You know the rules Luke. No pic and no love... :'(
I posted a pic but people kept sending me pms thinking it wasn't a jackrabbit I got sick of it and took it down

ab1c25d7f08def87faf03e76e0e011c0.jpg
For the record it's a young jackrabbit I'm 100% sure just by looking at the ears it's kinda hard to tell from the photos tho here's the pic

SurfNHuntSD said:
Definitely a jack.. a young guy for sure, those pigeons and euros are almost as big as him haha
Ya he was young and stupid lol me and my dad had shot about 10 birds each and he pops out at 20 yards and he just stands their for long enough to determine he was a jackrabbit and my dad shoots him and wounds him and he starts to run away so I open the action on my gun and run after him and shoot him at 30 yards when he was nearly over a cliff

Yep it is a juvenile for sure. No worries Luke. Nice job.

Is this a jack or cottontail?......Trying not to "Jack" the thread....... ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1340.JPG
    DSCF1340.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 37

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu