Lake Isabella turkey?

Drake Dunn

Nov 28, 2016
Anyone ever hunt this area and have any tips or pointers on where to go? I'm lost to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why scouting from home on google maps and paper maps and onX maps way early is so important. And getting out to the spots and putting boots on the ground way early as well

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER
That’s why scouting from home on google maps and paper maps and onX maps way early is so important.

I did and it looked promising. But now that I'm here it's not to promising

Sorry edited. Scouting early and often and multiple areas is the key. Burn tire and boot rubber. Probably not much Turkey I’m the area. But I’ve been wrong before

Reactions: TRICER
Sorry edited. Scouting early and often and multiple areas is the key. Burn tire and boot rubber. Probably not much Turkey I’m the area. But I’ve been wrong before

Got any pointers on where to go? It's discouraging putting in hours to not see anything

Got any pointers on where to go? It's discouraging putting in hours to not see anything

With the wrong mindset hunting and scouting can be discouraging. Overcoming discouragement and the ability to persevere are probably two of the things that most set apart unsuccessful and successful hunters. Just keep scouting. As for a spot look in the hills I have seen some there a few times. Then when you find them don’t tell anyone where, by that point you will understand why.

I’m sure most wont disagree but that’s hunting. It’s called hunting not killing for a reason. In my mind hunting is 99% looking, scouting, researching, hiking, calling, driving, and spending time in nature. Every one gets discouraged but when you get to the point of being happy with getting out the discouraging times are less frequent and easier to handle.

Not to mention turkeys are pretty rare and hard to find, call, and kill.

Reactions: Drake Dunn
Onyx Ranch had some (south of the South Fork), Greenhorn Mt. had some, and around the golf course in Wohlford Heights had some.....I hunted them on Greenhorn and all birds that I saw were on private prop......And never saw many.

Reactions: Drake Dunn
Onyx Ranch had some (south of the South Fork), Greenhorn Mt. had some, and around the golf course in Wohlford Heights had some.....I hunted them on Greenhorn and all birds that I saw were on private prop......And never saw many.

Thanks sprig you always come in for the help

I heard up rancheria rd there’s turkeys....I’m not sure if there’s any blm property...

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to you for getting out but you should’ve called up some forest service folks and talked to them. All the birds left in that drainage are on the Audubon bird preserve, and not huntable. Look up north of Glennville. Nobody is going to give you the X or anything close on an open forum like this for all the world to see. If you’re gonna burn rubber, you should’ve headed to the Sac area.

Wouldn't be my choice. Quail are scarce to nonexistent. Forget Canebreak. Been up there three times and never saw a turkey.

Props to you for getting out but you should’ve called up some forest service folks and talked to them. All the birds left in that drainage are on the Audubon bird preserve, and not huntable. Look up north of Glennville. Nobody is going to give you the X or anything close on an open forum like this for all the world to see. If you’re gonna burn rubber, you should’ve headed to the Sac area.

Sacramento is just a far far drive. 3-31/2 hours isn't too bad. But 6-7 is a little aggressive for a bird. If it was a deer or elk I'm there. But for a bird I'm not trying to drive that far hahah

Wouldn't be my choice. Quail are scarce to nonexistent. Forget Canebreak. Been up there three times and never saw a turkey.

Yeah after talking with some locals. That's about what they all said

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu