Lake Mendocino Hunt

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
I was lucky enough to get drawn for a Lake Mendocino Hunt that is way up in Ukiah, CA. I got family within an hour of there so it will be worth the trip.

Has anyone ever hunted this area and got any tips for it at all?

It's a great hunt. Two areas to look for.....if you don't have a boat you have to park off of deer creek road( not to sure if that's the name) walk in to the first cove and wait it out. I got my dad a bird there. Than spot 2 was by the red barn at about mid lake(east side is the only hunt area). They roost in the trees right by the barn.

Good luck.......Never hunted the area, but like most turkeys. Dominant toms don't like jakes in their zone.....Jake breeding a hen normally gets them in close.....Good luck.

Just sat under a tree and called to him while he was on the roost. I think I did have a decoy out but I'm not sure. I really don't like decoys to much.

Neither do I Steve I try and find lone gobblers high on a ridge. That usually is a desperate bird. That's how we killed the one in Mendocino. He sailed off the ride from about quarter mile. The one we sat under back door us and slipped away.

Yep, they like that old back door trick......Those ridge runners are good to get.......Our bird today tried the back door. Unfortunately for him, I knew this gobbler and he had slipped us 3 times this week (my Tuesday guy actually missed him)......Not this time, we were facing the back door...... ;)

I've had this year. I can't even find one on public land this year. Also my hunt in oroville was nothing good also. I hear three gobbles the evening before opener. That one back door us and on Sunday a hen came and lead the only gobbles to work all weekend away from us. Needless to say I spent to much money on only three hunts this year for nothing. I love getting out but I didn't like it this year. Good luck to the rest of you hope it goes better for everyone else. Oh and Steve if you guys don't want you turkey skins get a hold of me. I'd like to mount on for a display in my shop.

Dang. I wish I would've known.......Just sent 2 to the trash and my guy today just took his home......I'll hopefully get a couple more and will keep......Just the capes?

I would have to have the wings and legs. I know guys want the spurs but if you guys shoot a shorty and don't want them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu