Lakes Sutherland 4/21

James Kaye

Nov 5, 2017
San Diego
My son Sam and I hunted Lake Sutherland,Corral area Sat. 4/21.We watched single hens feeding through the woods and one good sized Tom at 6am that was dark black,pick his way past us at around 80 yds.No gobbles and didn't show any interest in our decoys or our calls.We resisted the urge to chase hoping he would come our way but he picked his way up the hill.We moved to that side around 11 and didn't see or hear anything till 1.We decided to pack it in and on our way back spotted a Tom within sight of our car.We got behind a ridge and hustled along for 60 yds.Sam popped up over a bush and he was 20 yards away.Great end to a great day.16.8 lb.9 in.beard 3/4 in.spurs.

Dang James.....I'm totally stoked for you and Sam.....That had to be one of those moments that you'll both talk about for years to come.....Hope to see you both next Tuesday to hear the story 1st hand.

I can hear the hooping and hollering from here.....lol

Pictures?

Last edited:
Reactions: BangBangBrandon
IMG_0083.jpg

My son Sam and I hunted Lake Sutherland,Corral area Sat. 4/21.We watched single hens feeding through the woods and one good sized Tom at 6am that was dark black,pick his way past us at around 80 yds.No gobbles and didn't show any interest in our decoys or our calls.We resisted the urge to chase hoping he would come our way but he picked his way up the hill.We moved to that side around 11 and didn't see or hear anything till 1.We decided to pack it in and on our way back spotted a Tom within sight of our car.We got behind a ridge and hustled along for 60 yds.Sam popped up over a bush and he was 20 yards away.Great end to a great day.16.8 lb.9 in.beard 3/4 in.spurs.
L.p. k ok
Dang James.....I'm totally stoked for you and Sam.....That had to be one of those moments that you'll both talk about for years to come.....Hope to see you both next Tuesday to hear the story 1st hand.

Pictures?

Pictures?
"

image1.jpeg IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0078.jpg
Sorry about the pictures.Looks like I kept loading the same one.
The horses were the only thing interested in our decoys.

Congrats!! Is that a turkey or a turkey vulture in the first pic? Lol... either way I love it, different than all the other turkey pics. Nice wrk!

Yep...amazing hunt and nice job to both of you. Congrats!

On another note: Dad - we see a photography class in your future. ;)

congrats on the successful hunt. I totally dig the pics, that turkey got worked.

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu