Last Minute. Last Day Gobbler 2016

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, this morning started off a little scary (actually a lot scary). Jacob & I were taking the usual route to Julian. As we passed Witch Creek, a car with his high beams on crossed over into our lane. At the last minute, I swerved to the right into the gravel, and he missed us (still don't know how). After that, the rest of the morning was going to be a blessing no matter what happened.

Tuesday in the same spot with Stefanie, we never heard a gobble on the roost. This morning was the polar opposite. It sounded like 4 or 5 jakes and at least one older tom were going off. I don't normally call to birds on the roost, but we never heard a hen. So I thought it was worth taking a chance on getting them on the flydown. Unfortunately, there were at least a couple of hens with them and they flew down the opposite direction. And once they hit the ground that was it.....Never heard another gobble till 3:00 pm.....At about 11:00 am, we had 2 big jakes come into the decoys. They were super leery of the strutter and single hen, but still walked within 20 yds of us. As has been our rule all season, Jacob passed on them. 4 hours later, I was snoozing again when Jacob says, "I see a longbeard". This time, he had 2 hens with him. Despite very soft calling and him gobbling, the hens again took him away.

Another hour goes by (4:00 pm) and we hear a gobble from across the valley. Got louder on the slate and he's gobbling back. Knowing this property well, I sent Jacob to the north. Many times from this angle, they will come up thru the oak thickets on deer trails. It is now 4:15 pm, and I'm wondering if we have time (shoot time is 5:00 pm now). I hear nothing for about 20 minutes, then here come the gobbles again. He's a lot closer and he's heading Jacob's direction. What I didn't hear was Jacob on his glass call. I look down at my phone and it's 4:50 pm. I'm thinking he's hung up, when I hear KAPOOW!....I walk down there and Jacob is grinning from ear to ear.....He had just called in his 1st longbeard.....Beautiful gobbler.....19-10 lbs, 8 1/8 beard, & 1" spurs.

Another glorious day in the turkey woods. The good lord was watching over us today..... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    834.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 114.JPG
    114.JPG
    470.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 119.JPG
    119.JPG
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 40
Great story on faith, hanging in there and never giving up, and how once again Steve was napping when the action picked up ;)

Congrats Jacob!

PS - Does ilovesprig ever leave the turkey woods empty-handed?

Well Scott......Hunted turkeys 30 days this spring (includes 2 youth days & NM).....Was on 7 kills.....Passed on jakes except for twice for friends.

It was definitely one of the toughest seasons I've had in many. Just far less turkeys and big toms in particular. Keeping my fingers crossed that our turkeys will come back to the numbers we've been so blessed to have here in SD.

I hope so too Steve...the rain will help...I too pass on Jakes...I can wait a year or two for them to mature :)

PS - ok, you ARE human like the rest of us ;)

7 is a good take!

What a great hunt to end the season. It's amazing how things can change in just a few days. We'll still be going out hoping for a long beard for Yusuke. Maybe he can limit out this spring :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu