Last Week-end for Turkeys

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, at least for shotgun & adults.......Very close with my daughter this week and very close for me. Hunting MCC yesterday, I called in 3 hens (one bearded) with a monster tom in tow. They crossed the highway. And I waited & waited for him as they walked in front of me. Next thing I know, he's going the opposite direction gobbling the whole way.......Ugg!......The best spot I have had 5 "longs" & 5 jakes yesterday afternoon too......The morning before in the same spot with Stefi. There were 5 jakes (we don't shoot jakes here) and 1 longbeard that flew over our head and was gone......I watched the birds yesterday without a gun and one of them doesn't know how lucky he was.....lol.....Hunting the spot tomorrow with her.....Lots of movement right now with what we have left...... The two dominant toms chased 2 of the toms away, 1 moved off naturally, and the jakes knew it wasn't a fair fight. Plus, they walked off with a hen...... :p.....Took today off, when I had a cancelation.

A couple pictures from the yesterday...Good luck to all............... ;D

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    494 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    924.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 29
Hit it yesterday and today.......Yesterday was with Stefanie. Because of a prior commitment, we didn't get into the mountains till noon......Driving into the property there is Mr. Longbeard......We literally walked up on him, but Stef wants to call them in the traditional way.......She also doesn't want to shoot jakes or of course, bearded hens......Try as I may, I just couldn't get a guy within 40 yds for her......I guess it just wasn't meant to be......Quality time with your daughter is priceless........ 8)

Today was a different story.....Whem Stef couldn't go this morning, I invited an old friend who hadn't gotten a turkey in a couple of years. Right off the flydown, we had a single jake walk by. Then it was 5 jakes next. As they were dicking around, we get gobbles from behind us. This guy sees the decoys, but goes completely around us and comes in from the opposite direction. It wasn't the best of decisions for him. At this, I'm thinking Steve's going to let him come all the way to the strutter decoy......Nope......Whacks him at 42 yds.....I guess after 2 years, that was close enough!...... ;D

A few pix from the last couple of days....... :)

ps......The last 2 gobbler pix are birds that are lucky weren't not into "drive bys" either today....... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    838.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    980.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    580.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    804.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    905.7 KB · Views: 24

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu