Last weekend of my first turkey season

SD Mike

Proud member of BH&A, RMEF and NWTF.
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego
So being it was closing weekend of my first turkey season and I had yet to get a bird, I really wanted to hit it hard this weekend. That meant grabbing my camping gear and heading in for the long haul.
I drove up saturday to some public land I had been scouting extensively via maps and my gps. Get there, hike the area for a few hours to get the lay of the land, set up camp, and sat down for the last few hours of the hunting day. No show for the toms, but heard a couple reports of gunfire on private land south of my location.
Saturday had me up at 3:45, camp packed up by 4:15, hiked to my spot and sitting with my decoys set up by 4:55 waiting on 5:30. Around 6:30 a couple birds show their faces and I was able to call them into within 25 yds of my setup and 40 yds from me. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a beard on either so I held off on my shot. However, this is the first time I had even seen a bird in the many times I have been out, let alone being able to work one. Being able to call them in gave me a really big sense of accomplishment. I have caught huge salmon in the Pacific and even bigger marlin in the Sea of Cortez. NOTHING has gotten my heart pounding like having my bead on that bird looking for a beard.
The rest of the day was pretty much spent listening to more reports of gunfire from that private property to the south. Maybe I should go introduce myself and see if they need any fences that need mending ;). That's it for me. It has been a learning experience to say the least and you guys, most notabley Ilovesprig and the rest of the NWTF guys and girls, have been an invaluable resource. Now what do I hunt tomorrow?!

Attachments

• 20150502_113453.jpg
    20150502_113453.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20150502_130348.jpg
    20150502_130348.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20150503_074629.jpg
    20150503_074629.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 39
Sounds like a great time even if the Tom's didn't show. The terrain looks great for deer hunting so you are set for the Fall. Regarding your question of what to hunt next, I've been thinking the same thing. I think D16 Hunter has the right idea by going for Eurasian Dove and pigeons. Possibly some coyote as well until the Fall seasons arrive.

Outstanding Mike.......I'm very happy for you........You've stepped up to help NWTF and have a great attitude. I know good things are in your future in the hunting world.

As far as stuff to do in the off season......I work with conservation groups, work out at Wister, and of course, scout. Rabbit opens July 1st and euros are an option as well.

Also, if your not into bass fishing. You may want to try it......I actually consider it more like bass hunting...... ;)

Great report. Getting to see animals and watch them respond (or not) to you is a great benefit. To me, that's a very successful hunt. Congrats!

You're right about how good for deer the location was. In fact, a young buck stepped out 150 yds from my camp spot at dusk Saturday evening.
Steve, I love bass fishing along with every other kind of fishing. I'll be taking my alloted offshore freezer filler trip this summer. Only gave myself one tuna/dorado trip this year because 95% of my fishing $ has gone towards hunting!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu