Learning to Talk Turkey

Chadwick

Walk softly and carry a bent stick
Nov 23, 2014
Fairbanks
www.primalbows.com
I ordered a Primos starter pack... Can't get the slate to work, the box seems nice. Since I'll be shooting a primitive bow and don't have decoys, I tend to think I'll need both hands free, so I need to get my mouth calls working. I got 4 mouth calls yesterday and I'm making a lot of noise. I'm using the simplest one to try and sing along to my 80's rock station. "We didn't start the fire" is very interesting in hen-cluck kit-kit-kee version.

Get the tree top turkey CD or down load it from iTunes. It will help with learning cadence and tone of a real turkey.

Chad,

Come to the Turner's Turkey seminar......Gen (The Matagi) and I will be there and will get the box call working. Gen is great on the mouth calls. I am sure with the right on hands instruction, you'll have it down in no time.......Till then......Here's some sounds to imitate, especially the yelps..

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdrRDt_ljE

You just open the can of worms buddy it only took me about three or four years to get it down but that's a bold statement because I still don't have it down. But they come to me now so that's a plus. do it when you drive. Or your going to piss off everybody in your house and neighborhood

Put the call in your mouth and without using your vocal cords mouth the work 'Huck" and hold it. That will cause your tongue to press up against the call and will build pressure. Slowly say the word "Chee", once your get comfortable with it drop your jaw and finish saying the word "chuck or chick". This will get you started with the yelp, "chee" will help you achieve the front end and when you finish with "uck", you will drop your jaw and you complete the two note yelp.
Go on Youtube, their is tons of instructional videos on there!!
Hope this helps
God Bless

Definitely spent some time online looking at videos today. Top of my mouth is sore. I have a call with 2 diaphragms & no cuts in it, it was easier to make noise but they don't sound as good. I practiced at home, then in the truck on my way to work. First day working with mental health adults here in SD.... Other than you folks.

Chadwick said:
Definitely spent some time online looking at videos today. Top of my mouth is sore. I have a call with 2 diaphragms & no cuts in it, it was easier to make noise but they don't sound as good. I practiced at home, then in the truck on my way to work. First day working with mental health adults here in SD.... Other than you folks.

also try moving the the mouth call from front to back untill you find the sweet spot, i found for certain calls like the kee kee i achieve better results if its near the back of
my mouth as apposed to the front.

As far as the slate goes, need to prep the surface with a scouring pad it should have come with one. so take the pad and rub circles on the slate and then try making small circles with the striker. should get a descent yelp now.

Mike,

All diaphragm calls are created not equal......I have found (for me), Batwing type calls are easier to get that 2nd note for your yelp......Also, some brands are just more comfortable than others. Keep trying till you find the right feel

https://www.google.com/search?q=batwing+mouth+calls&rlz=1T4WQIA_enUS556US556&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yPcCVc3cDMy1oQTSgYLQDg&ved=0CF0QsAQ

One other thing to remember about diaphragm calls......After using, the reeds will stick together. Giving you a totally different sound......Primos actually furnishes some little things in the package to separate the reeds.....I also carry toothpicks with me for the same purpose.....I always try to wash off the calls after usage with fresh water, if I can.

I always wash my calls off and store them in the fridge. This seems to keep the reeds from sticking and the latex from cracking.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu