Legislative Alert: AB 1223 Firearms and Ammunition Tax, Letter of Opposition

DoubleTrouble

Sep 8, 2016
All,

In order to make it easy for you to voice your (hopefully) opposition to the Subject bill regarding tax increases to Pistols (10%) Long Guns, ammunition and precursor parts (11%) which is currently going to the Assembly floor for a vote, Safari Club International has provided a link which you can use to voice your opposition to AB 1223 Click on the following: Speak Up Against Ammo and Gun Tax in California https://p2a.co/PJIdoew and complete the form and submit. When you complete the form your Assembly member, based on your Zip Code, will be sent an opposition letter. You may also edit the form letter to meet your particular feelings. Just be civil.

This bill had some opposition in the last committee but passed out of the taxation committee by a vote of 6-4. This bill must meet a 2/3 vote to pass it to the Senate. Let your legislators know you oppose any tax increase to firearms and ammunition since the tax will be funding special programs which effect all Californians, not just gun owners, and will do nothing to curb crime. If you have any questions, you can read the bill at:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB1223

Bill Text - AB-1223 Firearms and ammunition: excise tax. (ca.gov)
Bill Text - AB-1223 Firearms and ammunition: excise tax.
(b) Preventing gun violence and delivering community peace and safety to all Californians is a matter of racial justice. From 2016–2018, 2016–18, homicide was responsible for 46 percent of all deaths among Black teenage males in California, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Over 96 percent of these young homicide victims were killed with firearms.
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
Pass this to all your gun owning friends as well. GET INVOLVED and let's stop this bill!

Last edited:
You guys that live in Dem controlled airspace need to get on your Assembly members. :( so much fail in this state

Done. Compare to the last letter I got from NRA about new congress bill this one seems not so scared :)

All,

In order to make it easy for you to voice your (hopefully) opposition to the Subject bill regarding tax increases to Pistols (10%) Long Guns, ammunition and precursor parts (11%) which is currently going to the Assembly floor for a vote, Safari Club International has provided a link which you can use to voice your opposition to AB 1223 Click on the following: Speak Up Against Ammo and Gun Tax in California https://p2a.co/PJIdoew and complete the form and submit. When you complete the form your Assembly member, based on your Zip Code, will be sent an opposition letter. You may also edit the form letter to meet your particular feelings. Just be civil.

This bill had some opposition in the last committee but passed out of the taxation committee by a vote of 6-4. This bill must meet a 2/3 vote to pass it to the Senate. Let your legislators know you oppose any tax increase to firearms and ammunition since the tax will be funding special programs which effect all Californians, not just gun owners, and will do nothing to curb crime. If you have any questions, you can read the bill at:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB1223

Bill Text - AB-1223 Firearms and ammunition: excise tax. (ca.gov)
Bill Text - AB-1223 Firearms and ammunition: excise tax.
(b) Preventing gun violence and delivering community peace and safety to all Californians is a matter of racial justice. From 2016–2018, 2016–18, homicide was responsible for 46 percent of all deaths among Black teenage males in California, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Over 96 percent of these young homicide victims were killed with firearms.
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
Pass this to all your gun owning friends as well. GET INVOLVED and let's stop this bill!
Thanks, you’re right be civil. Also, not a bad idea to customize the letter because form letters are fine but perhaps not as effective as a personal letter explaining your opposition. How much of the additional tax is going to fund fish and game?

None of it.
I haven’t read the bill yet but will do. I did read the SCi letter an that’s what they said as well, clearly a problem. Hunters in this country (all political stripes) are only about 10% of the population and we contribute way more than our share to both conservation and wild life preservation. So clearly this bill is unfair and inappropriate. I’ll write my own letter as well as personally contacting my representative.

There is another part to this and it’s that hunters/shooters contribute an outsized amount of money to wildlife conservation. It’s my feeling that hikers, campers, etc. should contribute as we do through something similar to Pittman-Robertson when buying camping/hunting gear. Spread the joy.

blkpowder the objective for the democrats is not for conservation. it's to prohibit the cost of ammunition's and firearms so the pro 2 nd amendment most of us can not afford it.
and is to dry up ammunition . first outlaw lead, thru BS lead poisonings, now more of this, more tax. they will never stop, trust me.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
blkpowder the objective for the democrats is not for conservation. it's to prohibit the cost of ammunition's and firearms so the pro 2 nd amendment most of us can not afford it.
and is to dry up ammunition . first outlaw lead, thru BS lead poisonings, now more of this, more tax. they will never stop, trust me.
You’re right about this being a Dem from San Rafael (you can look up author, sponsors and how folk vote) and co-sponsors are Dems. The last vote was 6/4/1. I think one or two dems said no. I also think you’re right about objective is correct.

The sate already collects sales tax and as prices have increased on guns and ammo taxes have increased . So use the increased tax funds put them into the general fund the then fund the grants for CalVIP from there. I also agree that in CA it’s more difficult in other states, we’re not Arizona. I wouldn’t feel the same way if 90% of the dollars were to go to fund wild life conservation but that’s not the case.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu