Local turkey hunting

buckhunter20275

Aug 4, 2018
Looking for a places around San diego or within an hour at least to do some turkey hunting. Looking for suggestions. Thanks and happy hunting.

NWTF San Diego chapter discourages fall turkey hunting until our population is more stable.....Spring turkey hunting on public land is mostly done on the Cleveland NF, BLM, and San Felipe W.A.....There's also a hunting club (My Country Club) up near Lake Henshaw that has some of the best turkey hunting.

NWTF has a spring Turkey Tune-Up that offers hunts on the City of San Diego property (Lake Sutherland)….There were 7 gobblers taken last season.....The tune-up is the 3rd Saturday of February, I do believe.

Sometimes I have random questions... dont get all mad alright... I am just wondering... one of the forum sponsors just harvested a turkey last week, do they also get the “we discourage hunting turkey “. I think I just answered my own question as I type, well he didn’t post it here on this site so we would never know if you guys would tell him the same.

Anywho, I don’t hunt turkey yet but I guess if I did I wouldn’t want anyone taking turkeys that might limit the population and my chances when I choose to go hunting.

Are the turkeys considered native or invasive species. What does the dfg do to help with populations. I’ve heard you guys talk about that one turkey club so Im guessing its more of , us take care of them because dfg doesnt.

Anyways, have a great Sunday guys. I hope you all get to hunt today even if it’s only for an hour like me. My hunting starts at 8 am

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Rich,

They're neither native or invasive....They're introduced....But since they're non native, DFW doesn't really protect them much. They went from no fall hunting, to 1 bird for to 2 weeks, to 2 turkeys, & 1 month. This is while are turkeys numbers are dropping badly.....Our population in San Diego is 25% of what it was just 5 years ago.....If we ever lose our population (like San Bernardino NF), we will never have local turkeys to hunt again.

We at NWTF can't make anyone not shoot a legal bird....All we can do is suggest that you don't shoot fall turkeys and especially hens.....The drought, predators, and lack of mast has killed plenty.

Being someone who has hunted (and seen) San Bernardino turkeys, I salute NWTF stand on SD birds. Like quail in Ventura County, if you kill them all then there won't be any left.

All our wildlife is taking a beating this year. This drought is awful.
Anyone with private property should put water trough for the Wildlife. Hopefully they will survive on private property.
Any one seeing turkey should leave them alone. I remember when turkeys did not exist in San Diego county.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu