Locating bucks...

Sorry. Just re-read the opening question. Comprehension fail.
No worries! That is actually a good point. I don't archery hunt here (usually chasing elk with my bow) but it does seem easier to turn up bucks in the early season.

John Massie (DFG senior biologist) did a study a number of years ago with the deer around Lake Henshaw (VID/CNF)....It's now MCC....What was shown was, older bucks mostly stayed in the thickest, Knarliest canyons within short walking distance to water (and not every day either)....About a 1 mile radius....They were very nocturnal (proven by night surveys I've done out there)....The only time they would go out into more open country was during the rut...And even then, they would normally move late and stay near river bottoms, thickets, and woods....If you have does, you will have bucks....BUT, and it's a big butt....The rut here in San Diego can be up to 3 months long....Meaning, does you may be looking at, may not go into estrus for another 2 months....Another indicator is, if she has a fawn or fawns....Until she kicks them away....She won't breed.

This season I've seen a great number of smaller forkies, spikes, and does....There's been a couple of really nice 3x's taken on MCC....A monster 4x4 (Josh saw him too) was missed yesterday or just got away (I looked for 4 hours for the buck this morning)....Hoping it was a clean miss and not another copper debacle.

Passed on this guy yesterday, despite being MCC legal....He's in love and could have shot him again today about a 1/4 mile away....Hope he makes it.

.IMG_0386.JPG

John Massie (DFG senior biologist) did a study a number of years ago with the deer around Lake Henshaw (VID/CNF)....It's now MCC....What was shown was, older bucks mostly stayed in the thickest, Knarliest canyons within short walking distance to water (and not every day either)....About a 1 mile radius....They were very nocturnal (proven by night surveys I've done out there)....The only time they would go out into more open country was during the rut...And even then, they would normally move late and stay near river bottoms, thickets, and woods....If you have does, you will have bucks....BUT, and it's a big butt....The rut here in San Diego can be up to 3 months long....Meaning, does you may be looking at, may not go into estrus for another 2 months....Another indicator is, if she has a fawn or fawns....Until she kicks them away....She won't breed.

This season I've seen a great number of smaller forkies, spikes, and does....There's been a couple of really nice 3x's taken on MCC....A monster 4x4 (Josh saw him too) was missed yesterday or just got away (I looked for 4 hours for the buck this morning)....Hoping it was a clean miss and not another copper debacle.

Passed on this guy yesterday, despite being MCC legal....He's in love and could have shot him again today about a 1/4 mile away....Hope he makes it.

.View attachment 51756
Great pic! I didn't realize the rut could last that long! I think I really just need to spend more days in the field and spend more time looking at the stuff that's thick/gnarly/deep/by water and eventually its bound to happen.

Reactions: Papadeuce
Great pic! I didn't realize the rut could last that long! I think I really just need to spend more days in the field and spend more time looking at the stuff that's thick/gnarly/deep/by water and eventually its bound to happen.

I'm guessing it has to do with our weather...Rainy days seem to bring out the activity as well...The cloak of darkness is always a good time, but during the rut...Anytime can be the time for a buck to move...I've shot several mid morning...The smaller bucks (which is a relative term) get kicked out and continue to look for new girl friends.

This little spike was seem several times yesterday just moving around...All by his lonesome...:confused:

.IMG_0391.JPG

Reactions: dhntr48

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu