looking for a Brittany Spaniel

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Hello all,
I have recently been very interested in purchasing a brittany spaniel for upland bird hunting. I'd like to get one soon so I can start training him/her for next season. does anyone know any reputable breeders, specifically in the southern California area? If you have any pros/cons for brittany's, feel free to share also!

great dogs. Ive been training hunting dogs of different kinds for 20 years. goldens, chocolate labs, spaniels and short haired pointers (GSP's) I love brittanys negitives, long hair. catches everything. pros.. they are beautiful dogs that will do most everything you ask. Plus they are a little smaller then most upland dogs with LOTS of energy. But im partial to GSP's

Id imagine if you got a 3-6 month old pup now it may not be ready for next season. you could take it out and what not but training usually really kicks in about 18 months or so. If i can ill help in any training or any help you may need.

Going to train it your self or have a trainer? IF you can send it to a tainer or put in the daily work it may be ready.

sorry not much help.

Thanks GSPman!
Yeah ive always wanted to german shorthaired but I dont have the resources for one right now, I hunted with quite a few of them during this year's quail season and I can't imagine having one in a town house. And thats why i was looking at brittany's they are smaller and can be satisfied with one or two nice long walks or visits to the dog park daily. I also got a change to hunt with two lewellin setters and i fell in love with those dogs too, so i'm stuck in between them both.

In regards to training, I discussed a lot with the veterans i was hunting with all quail season and I beleive I would like to train them myself just because I want to build a strong relationship with my dog. Any help with training would be greatly appreciated, but I want to be very involved so I can learn about my dog inside and out.

If you hear of anybody breeding either of these breeds be sure to drop me a PM, in the meantime, it's coyote hunting for me and dog searching.

I will keep an ear out and ask around. Training your own dog is the best way to go if done right and you have the time. the bonding is awesome. there's lots of amazing professional trainers and kennels as well if one has the money and man do they turn out nice dogs. but personal training is a great thing. Also for help look up NAVHDA north american versital hunting dog association that were i got my first help with training.

I use to have book on training Brittany's, I forgot the name, but it helped produce some good dogs. My girlfriends parents use to breed their britts, but they haven't in years.. I have little 3 year old right now, but I don't think the dude I got it from breeds anymore. Sorry I'm not much of a help !

Nice compact bird dog but you have to evaluate what behaviors and strengths you're looking for. As with any breed lineage is important, do your homework. Its OK to buy a pup from across the country but make sure you have good references. The breed is known to be a self hunter so be prepared for dog that will show you where the bird is but is'n't real interested in bringing to you once its down.

I've got a five year old male who is an absolute great dog. Awesome hunter, good retrieves and the best family dog we could have asked for. Would love to stud him out if anyone is interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the pleasure to hunt over my friends Brittany.......He's not much on waterfowl (does retrieve though).....But hell on pheasants......The picture in the canal is him pointing in that short grass. The rooster my buddy is holding was right there......My goofy lab pup ran past it about 3 times......lol

Attachments

• pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 030.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 030.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 47
  • pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 032.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 032.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 67
  • pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 026.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 026.JPG
    698.1 KB · Views: 45
Here might be an opportunity........

http://www.theoutdoorsforum.com/forums/topic/47423-one-year-old-brittany-champion-lines/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu