Looking for hunt guide for D14

Mako

Oct 24, 2020
Anyone out there that can recommend a hunt guide for D14? Looking for someone to take me out this weekend?

I can’t go out, but pm me and I can give you some pointers.

You don't need a hunting guide. Get a forest map and start driving some dirt roads. Be there before the sun comes up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I appreciate the enthusiasm and support. I have maps, as well as OnX and have been out to the area. The main reason why I'm looking for a guide more than anything is in case I get lucky and bag something. I'm not sure I will be able to field dress the deer by myself. I've watched plenty of videos on how to do it, but watching and doing aren't the same and I just don't want to mess it up. Also, wanted someone with me for safety. I've been an upland bird guy up until now. Are you familiar with D14? Is it safe to solo hunt? Should I bring a side-arm? My main concern is mountain lions. I saw one years ago when chuckar hunting in the red mountains by Ridgecrest. I wasn't too concerned about it, but I wasn't hunting solo either.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Larry hunts D14 and is familiar with mountain lions...as far as field dressing...just start hacking away...stay away from the big white sack once opened up..theres some nasty green grainey stuff in there that will make you gagg and taint your meat if popped...gross.

Last edited:
There are mountain lions and black bears up there, but you don't need to worry. More likely to fall off a rock and break a wrist (like Larry) than get attacked or even see one. Download the videos to your phone and watch it as your process (step by step).

Honestly focus on trying to understand where deer live (food, water, shelter). It is not easy but trying to understand them is the process that makes it worth it.

I am extremely familiar with D14. Hunting by yourself is no problem. Don't worry about field dressing. If you have a general idea, it will be fine. I would stay away from the circus in Holcomb Valley, though.

Mountain lions? In all the years I have spent up there, I have only seen one. Ran across the road in front of my car. You are not likely to encounter one while hunting.

Last edited:
I would stay away from the circus in Holcomb Valley, though.

Mountain lions? In all the years I have spent up there, I have only seen one. Ran across the road in front of my car. You are not likely to encounter one while hunting.

Thank you for that tip, I appreciate it. I plan to start Barton Flats and go from there. Hopefully won't be as bad, especially this late in the season. And thanks for sharing your experience with mountain lions. Makes me less worried about being out there solo.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I appreciate the enthusiasm and support. I have maps, as well as OnX and have been out to the area. The main reason why I'm looking for a guide more than anything is in case I get lucky and bag something. I'm not sure I will be able to field dress the deer by myself. I've watched plenty of videos on how to do it, but watching and doing aren't the same and I just don't want to mess it up. Also, wanted someone with me for safety. I've been an upland bird guy up until now. Are you familiar with D14? Is it safe to solo hunt? Should I bring a side-arm? My main concern is mountain lions. I saw one years ago when chuckar hunting in the red mountains by Ridgecrest. I wasn't too concerned about it, but I wasn't hunting solo either.

I have literally hunted these mountains (SoCal & Sierra's) all my life and have NEVER seen a mountain while hunting...They really are the least of your problems.

When you're gutting your deer, you do not need a large cut...In front of his peter to the rib cage...Just below the fur...Do not cut the guts...Make sure you're on a slight slope, the the guts will roll out...Pull out what doesn't come out...If you like the heart & liver...Leave it in the cavity (zip locks work)...Carry some strong tween or good zip ties (no rope)...Sew up the cavity tightly...Keeps debree out on your drag...This will get you to a point where you can do the fine tuning gutting hung up.

ps...Do NOT forget to fill out and put your tag on the antler...Zip ties work here too

.016.JPG025.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu