Looking for Turkey Guide for November

Zach Jones

Oct 21, 2016
I am trying to find a reputable guide to go turkey hunting with, after opening weekend in November. I'd trust recommendations here better than Google!

No one really hunts turkeys in the fall on here and I have no idea who would guide turkeys in the fall in SD. NWTF reccomends against shooting fall Turkeys.
If you are looking to hunt turkeys with a guide you will need to go up to central cal in the spring. A lot of the ranches that hunt pigs also offer turkey hunts.
I reccomend getting into pheasant, quail, or duck duck hunting if your looking to shoot some birds in the fall.

No guides that I know of in SoCal (MCC excepted, but they don't allow fall turkey hunting either).....And as stated, we at NWTF don't encourage fall hunts.

Central valley or maybe the Sac area has some.

I am trying to find a reputable guide to go turkey hunting with, after opening weekend in November. I'd trust recommendations here better than Google!
Hi Zack
The reason every one frowns fall turkey hunt is because the drought
Has decimated the population.
No punt intended.
Best bet join the NWTF. And try to hook up like minded people.
There is a lot if experience required to hunt that wild bird.
For fall best bet to look up north.
Book a guide service. Relatively cheep . Look at guides corner look up Neil at be XXXX . Book a pig hunt at the same time.
Best
LB

Relatively cheap is a relative term.....They get about $450.00 per day with a 2 or 3 day minimum.

When I was in Kansas....Guides or outfitters got $650.00 a day.....3 day minimum

ps.....The state (DFW) offers a number of hunts on a draw basis at no charge (Spenceville W.A. for example)

Reactions: Zach Jones
Relatively cheap is a relative term.....They get about $450.00 per day with a 2 or 3 day minimum.

I agree Steve. I shot 2 nice gobblers this year for $Free 50.

Well one of them took some driving I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well I doubt free is good. But for a newbies who have no experience.
And have a guide teach them the ropes yes it is. By the time they scout and go out every week end spending$$$$$$$ . On gas food and time only to get frustrated. With no bird. It can be a wasted f_n time.
$400 can easily be spent.
Here is guy trying to learn the ropes.
I don't hear constructive advice.
LB

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Geeze Lee.....The advice was, he would have to go north.....BECAUSE THERE"S NO GUIDES IN SD AND MOST FOLkS DON"T RECOMMEND FALL HUNTING ANYWAY.....That's about as plain as advice as you can get.

If he wants to hunt the spring.....That's a whole other ball game and there's much that can be done locally.....He has not responded to said advice.

Geeze Lee.....The advice was, he would have to go north.....BECAUSE THERE"S NO GUIDES IN SD AND MOST FOLkS DON"T RECOMMEND FALL HUNTING ANYWAY.....That's about as plain as advice as you can get.

If he wants to hunt the spring.....That's a whole other ball game and there's much that can be done locally.....He has not responded to said advice.

Yes he should go north. And get a guide. That was my advice and as I explained why , most are not hunting here. THAT'S ALL
Hundreds of people read these post.
He's not the only one probably interested in Turkey hunting.
Let's get them started right.
Mine was constructive criticism.
Not meant as a derogatory to any one.
We all can not hunt on private property. Most of us have to hunt
Public. Unless some like you help them. And that's probably not possible.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Well I doubt free is good. But for a newbies who have no experience.
And have a guide teach them the ropes yes it is. By the time they scout and go out every week end spending$$$$$$$ . On gas food and time only to get frustrated. With no bird. It can be a wasted f_n time.
$400 can easily be spent.
Here is guy trying to learn the ropes.
I don't hear constructive advice.
LB

Yeah.... but the learning of scouting, and the time spent in the wilderness is not wasted time. $400 on gas, food, hard work might not get you a bird, but it gets you plenty of field time. What would the guide do? take you to where the bird is, call it, then you shoot the bird and home you go. Not much learning really there, other than seeing some dude call a bird (which can be seen in youtube) and getting over turkey fever. That's the guides argument to get you to pay absurd money to kill a public animal. Is the goal to learn traditional hunting? or to kill a bird? cause I can buy a live turkey and shoot it myself for cheaper. Lol, first time I went turkey hunting after spending hours every day with the diaphragm, I made a few yelps, fell asleep for about 10 mins, woke up and out at 20 yards! were THREE toms doings strange things to my 1 decoy. I never expected to call a bird, and there were 3 giant bird out. Guess what happened next. I missed. I was bowhunting...

Trick of turkey hunting is to find the birds in the evening, see where they go to spend the night. Next morning locate yourself within 100 yards from the bird, and call. Get an answer? wait... Find the birds, and practice with your diapraghm like it is a musical instrument. Watch videos, record yourself, sound like a turkey. If you find the birds, and become a master of the call, you're golden. Problem is, are there any public land birds?

Last edited:

I greatly appreciate the advice and guidance! I had no idea about the recommendation to refrain from Fall hunts, and I will certainly take this into account. I would love to spend the fall 'learning' and then get serious during the Spring season.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Zack,

Thanks for considering not shooting a fall turkey.....The difference of the two hunts (spring & fall) is like night and day.....The excitement of a gobbler strutting and responding to your calling is like nothing else (well bugling elk)…..If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

When I was in Kansas....Guides or outfitters got $650.00 a day.....3 day minimum
ps.....The state (DFW) offers a number of hunts on a draw basis at no charge (Spenceville W.A. for example)

DAMN! I way under charge.

https://www.garciashuntingpreserves.com/turkey
Are these guys any good?
$400.00 a day
I found an other outfit for semi guided for $250.00 per day
Some where at this price
highest was $750. Per day, 2 hunter minimum.

Never heard of them, but $400.00 isn't too bad.....What catches my attention some is that it says FROM $400.00.....Could be trophy fees, minimum days, etc.....They're certainly in a good area for turkeys.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu