Lucky Day.....For Turkeys

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Took out a close friend Mike out yesterday. Hunted one the best spots I have.....The birds have been moving their roost trees. So I started off with some owl hoots.....Bingo.....Their on their traditional roosts.....When dawn starts to break, the gobblers start going off.....Best gobbles of the year by far.....As flydown starts, the birds are not flying down to their usual strutting grounds. Instead their flying down high on the ridge.....Within a few minutes, flydown was over.....I start calling and I can't even get a single gobble.....WTF!.....Dead silence for an hour until the trash man down the road comes by and we get a gobble a 1/2 mile away.....I tell Mike, well get ready for the long haul.....At about 8:30 am., I finally get a gobble.....Not much of a consistent return response, but some.....15 minutes go by and I see turkeys coming.....I can see the 1st couple and they're jakes. Then here come 3 more and I tell Mike, there's got to be at least one longbeard (haven't really seen many jakes here)....Nope, all 5 are youngsters. I had already told him, no jakes.....As jakes do, they came right in and attacked the jake decoy.....After the usual humor, they get board and leave.....Lucky them.....After they've left, I start calling again. They continue to gobble as they go out of sight.....In amongst their gobbles, I hear a different one and tell Mike.....I continue to get this strong gobbles and now they're really close below us. Mike then says, "there he is".....The huge gobbler goes behind a huge Engleman at about 40 yds and I'm assuming Mike would put up his gun (something I always tell all unexperienced turkey hunters).....When he reappears, instead of going into the jake decoy, he starts heading right for us (we are 24 yds this side of the dekes).....The big guy does a couple of full strut pirouettes and continues at us......Now he's only 25 yds away and I look at Mike and his gun is still across his lap.....Now I know we're in big trouble......Can't move......He is now only 10 yds and he finally makes Mike.....He goes out of strut and now turns to head away.....At this, I tell him to slide out of his chair, stand up, and shoot him going away.....Well, he does, but misses a tough uphill, small window, going away shot.....Lucky him...... :p......Little video of the boys and back at 'em tomorrow...... ;)

.https://youtu.be/47D7QUS6Nnk

Attachments

• IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 36
Glad to see some jakes running around. I'm starting to see them more now all of a sudden.

The club needs a one jake limit this year for sure lol. I'm glad Phil got a bird after getting skunked last year.

Gen,

I'm sure Phil was thrilled......It's not always about the size of the animal. Much to do with the quality of the hunt......The fact that these birds were hung-up and he got them in is the part that really counts.

I had non stop gobbling this morning till about 9:00am. They started in the dark and continued on the ground for a few hours. There is a bunch of geese on the property right now making a lot of noise and that helped in keeping them gobbling. I had 2 different groups of jakes come in, one group had 5 and the other had 3 in it. While the second group was standing around my decoy 3 deer walk by and spooked when they got 15 yards down wind of the decoy. Pretty funny stuff. At 11:00 I had a descent 2 year old with about an 8" beard come in and do a weak strut. I was at full draw on him in side 20yds for about 15 seconds and let down. He kinda moved away fast not knowing what he saw. Another guy has been bringing his daughter up for her first bird. He has made her pass on the Jakes twice so hopefully this 2 year old will be around for her. There was 4 big boys hanging with hens I have my eye on. They spent a lot of time back by one of my tree stands, so that's were Ill be Sat morning.

My kind of spot, Doug.........Good luck on the big guys.

ps........I would've passed on a 2 year old....... ;)

Seems to be real slow out at MCC. Doesnt seem like a lot of people have got a Turkey yet. Went out yesterday and saw a couple of Hens with no gobblers in sight. No gobbles all day either. I def. will not be taking a Jake this year in order to do my part in helping growth. With that said I feel like there is very little Toms to choose from and it will be a lot of work get one to come in this year. Good luck to all of you hopefully we all can do our part to help the population strive by limiting the shooting of young ones.

I'll be out there this weekend. I won't take a jake either. It will be a good day hunting whether I take a tom or not, and I don't want to pressure the flock without good reason. At least my wife won't be complaining about me practicing my calls in the house.

Really tough on MCC all week......I think only 9 birds taken so far (4 longs, 5 jakes)......I've had good opportunities with friends most days, but it's been mostly jakes and just trying to get ahead of the birds. Today, birds showed almost no interest in calling......They would've still been dead, if I would've let Tanner put the "Jackson" on them...... ;)

A couple pix from this week.

Attachments

• DSCF1151.JPG
    DSCF1151.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    IMG_0872.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    659.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    812.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 25
On wed/thurs I was in the Laguna Bowhunting area. Drove scouting until 4:30pm, parked the car where I'd decided to spend the night. Stepped out and wow, there were 3 long beards 40 yards away from my truck. You can't hunt them past 4pm, right? So 1 hr later I hear a gobble from them and they've only moved up the hill about 100 yards. I scouted in the other direction and then came back around at 8pm to see if I could locate a roost. No luck. Next morning, much calling, sitting, hiking, no gobbles. And it was chilly before sunrise!!
What should I have done differently to figure out where those birds headed? I didn't want to follow them and bust them out of the area.

Attachments

• Tracks.jpg
    Tracks.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 107
Out here now and haven't gotten a gobble since sun up. On the bright side it looks like no one else decided to get up early and hunt so I have the area to myself. good luck everyone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu