Made it happen today.

BIGCIM

Feb 15, 2018
Set up 6 stands today in Riverside. Got one, another one busted us on a different stand. Took 3 shots at @30 yards with 3"hevi X BB to get him to stop screaming and spinning in circles. These lead alternatives suck.

Over all great day spent outdoors with of of the men that started my passion in hunting as a kid, My Uncle.

.20190321_140904.jpg20190321_141322.jpg20190321_141241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

3 heavy shot in a coyote = an expensive dog. That has not been my experience with those rounds. I have seen them drop stone dead 70yds on the run with them one shot this is not an exaggeration and there is another guy to back this up. I am a believer In tungsten. I shot one running away from me and found pellets that went through the entire dog and were in the neck. Tungsten is lethal.

Reactions: stikbrandon
Thanks for the pics! I'd been curious how green'd up it's become since my last outing, so thanks for sharing.

BTW... those Hevi X are just some high-fallutin' Steel shot, right? Those aren't actually heavier-than-lead rounds, correct?

Congrats!

3 heavy shot in a coyote = an expensive dog. That has not been my experience with those rounds. I have seen them drop stone dead 70yds on the run with them one shot this is not an exaggeration and there is another guy to back this up. I am a believer In tungsten. I shot one running away from me and found pellets that went through the entire dog and were in the neck. Tungsten is lethal.
Are you using Hevi-shot or Hevi X? Because this has been my experience on half dozen coyotes using the Hevi X. Also what shot/shell size? I know people who have successfully harvested animals 70+ yards with the hevi-shot Dead coyote. I have pattern the gun with good results. Every yote that I have shot with these shells have no/minimal amounts of blood. Meaning the runners typically get away.

Friends of mine have been killing them just fine with Kent Bismuth. But they are also using 3.5's.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER
Thanks for the pics! I'd been curious how green'd up it's become since my last outing, so thanks for sharing.

BTW... those Hevi X are just some high-fallutin' Steel shot, right? Those aren't actually heavier-than-lead rounds, correct?
Its suppose to be some tungsten alloy. Not true tungsten like Apex. I have been hearing of guys reloading shells with H13 shot with great results, which is probably what ill be doing.

Are you using Hevi-shot or Hevi X? Because this has been my experience on half dozen coyotes using the Hevi X. Also what shot/shell size? (yes I patterned it). I know people who have successfully harvested animals 70+ yards with the hevi-shot Dead coyote.

Friends of mine have been killing them just fine with Kent Bismuth. But they are also using 3.5's.
Dead coyote and Winchester Xtended range. I like Winchester Xtended range only because it is about half the price of the dead coyote. It works just as good in my opinion. Some coyotes just done die. I have had a few with a rifle where it almost made me feel bad. Well almost....

Just checked and it looks like the Winchester Xtended range is no longer available. I have maybe 2 boxes left that stinks.

Last edited:
Dead coyote and Winchester Xtended range. I like Winchester Xtended range only because it is about half the price of the dead coyote. It works just as good in my opinion. Some coyotes just done die. I have had a few with a rifle where it almost made me feel bad. Well almost....

Just checked and it looks like the Winchester Xtended range is no longer available. I have maybe 2 boxes left that stinks.
Yup, I suspected we were using different versions of the Hevi-shot. What shot size are you using in the WXR? Dead coyote is typically BB.

Truduct said it! Some coyotes just don't die. My buddy just shot one the other day, took out the heart, lungs and spine. The dam dog dragged himself for 10 yards before we could finish him.
I'm not much of a shot gunner. What's wrong with cheap 00 or deer slugs?

Truduct said it! Some coyotes just don't die. My buddy just shot one the other day, took out the heart, lungs and spine. The dam dog dragged himself for 10 yards before we could finish him.

Non lead shot required.

They are not lead-free. The only lead-free slugs are the ones with sabots, which requires a rifled barrel. Or at the very least a rifled choke tube.

Hey... BTW.. I just picked up that same short-version Primos Tripod Trigger-Stick, haven't gotten out to use it yet.

How ya like it for making Coyote sets Man? Do you sit directly on the ground? Or what seating option do you make use of out there? And do you like it paired with that seating option?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu