Mearns' Quail

Sep 26, 2012
Hey guys,
A buddy and I are heading to Southeastern AZ after Christmas to hunt Mearns' Quail. I've never been before, so I'm looking for any information you guys might have on the subject. The info I've gathered so far indicates that they thrive after healthy summer monsoons, and that they like grassland type terrain. My buddy has areas picked out already, so I'm not looking for hunting spots- just tips on how to be successful. Any of you guys ever go after them?

I hunted them last February out of Patagonia, AZ. This is a bird that really requires dogs to hunt. Nothing like CA, or gamble's or scaled quail. I went with my uncle and we hunted with a guide and his dogs. You may be able to get into some birds without a dog, but you will do a lot of walking for few birds. It was a blast and they are beautiful birds. You are right that they like grasslands. That whole region is grasslands with oak, juniper, pine, and other trees. You will be hunting canyons and draws. We found that, in general, the birds tended to be on the slopes of the canyons/draws, rather than in the bottoms or tops of the hills between the draws. The flush of a Mearn's covey is one of the most exciting things you will experience in upland hunting. You cannot see the birds in the grass. The dogs are on point, and you are walking in expecting the birds to come out of a bush a few yards in front of you. Nope! They explode from around your feet. I swear the only reason some of those birds flushed is that I bumped one with my boot or stepped on one. I've never seen anything hold tighter.

People travel from all over the country to hunt those birds. Expect to see a lot of hunters. There were license plates from all over the country, and just about every truck had a dog box in the back of it. However, there is a lot of land. I recommend you take the time to drive well away from whatever town you are staying in before starting to hunt. We drove 45 minutes to an hour on dirt roads each morning and ran into almost no other hunters. Coveys are generally small. Think mtn quail numbers, not valley quail. A good covey is a dozen birds, 15-20 is a great covey.

3873EB87-FACF-4C91-81B3-460D138DF703_zpsvpzki04t.jpg

AB381B5E-FB5B-41A9-9703-98F611ACC789_zpsqtgfwmca.jpg

0E881DB3-4342-4C2E-998B-8779B3C87CD8_zpskmm2avtj.jpg

Thanks, that was exactly the kind if dope I was looking for! We will be dry camping out in the countryside somewhere, and hunting over labs. The videos I've seen show them holding very well for pointers, but alas, I don't have one yet. Someday, though. Thanks again.

As long as they will scent the birds and flush within range you should be good! The birds are just plain invisible and they don't call, and that's why the dog is so important. I don't know exactly where you are hunting, but we were right on the border. I shot a bird that fell within 5 yards of the fence (really just a vehicle barrier made of cut up rail where we were). The guide told us he had sent his dogs to retrieve birds from the mexican side. The immigration/smuggling activity is constant and you may see a lot of evidence of that depending where you are. Border Patrol is everywhere (just like here), and just like here, they don't have much interest in you, but you may see them checking out your vehicle from a distance. Have fun! A lot of guys say a half a limit of Mearn's is something to be proud of.

x2 on what Kellen said, Mearns hunting requires a pointing dog to be successful as well as being prepared to walk all day for a limit. Its my favorite upland bird to pursue. The other part of the experience is that the part of the southwest they occupy is a smuggling corridor so expect to interact with CBP and see wild lands strewn with trash left behind by illegal immigrants transiting through.

Watch your dogs with valley fever a buddies GSP is still being treated 2 years later

Just saw this video for the first time today, someone posted it on another site. This is an excellent example, and really is exactly what I experienced, I even stayed at that hotel. Anyways, an excellent video showing what Mearns country is like. The first two covey flushes in the video weren't really what I experienced, you'll see they flush before the hunters get there. But the rest of the video is spot on. You'll see the hunters get "tree F*&^ed" a few times, as the birds sweep around brush or trees, and even birds that sit and wait for the hunter to pass then flush behind them. Enjoy.

http://azquailtoday.com/the-kt-diaries-arizona-means-quail-video/

Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread. What can I say, I got lazy! Here's a modified version of an article that I wrote for the San Diego Sporting Dog Club's newsletter.

After Christmas, I had the opportunity to join a friend on a hunt for Mearns' quail in Southeastern Arizona. I had never heard of them before he told me about them, but there is some information about hunting them available online at YouTube.com and other websites. These birds are beautiful. Well, maybe some people think they look comical, as they are sometimes called clown quail!

What makes these birds stand out among quail is that they are slightly larger than other quail, and their coveys are smaller. Most significantly, however, is how tight they hold to cover! Because they hold so tightly, pointers are particularly well-suited for hunting them. Some say that pointers are the only way to hunt them, but we did ok with retrievers. My buddy's black lab is a machine, with an excellent nose! She ended up putting up every covey that we encountered. Many times, the birds would not flush until she put her nose on them!

Mearns.jpg

The terrain these birds seem to prefer consists of rolling hills with a fifty/fifty mixture of oak and grassland. We usually tend to think of Arizona as the land of desert and cacti, but this area of the state is beautiful! The summer monsoons (which the Mearns' depend on) bring lots of grass, and when it's not over-grazed, it makes for fantastic hunting habitat. The season length is generous, as are the bag limits (currently eight per day).

We tent camped, and boy, was it cold! Temperatures at night were in the mid-twenties. As soon as the sun dipped behind the hills, our fingers got numb. Propane tanks didn't seem to want to work reliably, but we had some good meals of steaks and potatoes, or hot sausage sandwiches.

Make sure that you bring a good pair of boots, and maybe a backup pair of footwear. In our first day of hunting, the sole fell off my boot! Neither of us had brought any duct tape (note to self- bring duct tape next time!), so we had to make do with vet wrap and surgical tape from the first aid kit!

Boot%20repair.jpg

It was a fantastic trip, and I can't wait to go again!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu