MEATEATER LIVE

Yup .pre gaming is always fun! Full concessions/bar at the venue we saw him at...They also enjoy a few cold ones while on stage..it's real life shit. No B.S..you will Digg it

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Here is my review of last night's event in San Diego ...are you ready?..get your popcorn:

There is no secret that Steve has added a lot to the hunting community and we all should be grateful for that. I am one of those who watched the MetaEater show when it first came out and was hooked. Kudos to him for his success and new business ventures.

With that aside and with all due respect to Steve and his boys (the crew). Last night's MeatEater live was not worth the money, furthermore it was a disappointment.

I have and would pay north of what the MeatEater live tickets were going for, to watch a live show that provides some sort of value entertainment.

I found Steve super engaging and I could listen to him for hours. He is a great storyteller, smart and funny. Unfortunately part of the program apparently was not to let Steve spend more than a few minutes talking. Perhaps he was focusing a little too much on selling his book. I thought Steve would switch gears and talk to the audience about other interesting stuff but that unfortunately did not happen.

I am sorry but, I would not want to drive to downtown SD and pay money to see a group of guys on stage "shooting the shit" sort of speak. They showed pictures of their kid's recently harvested Turkey and told the audience how some of their family members grew up eating wild game. I am sorry but I did not attend the event for that.

The main act was that a couple of members of the audience were invited on stage to cast a jig into a bucket and whoever got close got a prize. It looked like the participants had some well-deserved fun. But again I was like....?????? The other big part of the entertainment was to find someone in the audience who could reproduce the sound of an Owl. That was funny.

Part of the show was also to let the panel on stage guess what percentage of the local audience would agree or disagree with questions like: Would you want Grizzlies in CA? Would you prefer to land a competitive-size mule deer or a catch record large mouth bass? and so on. Not surprisingly 40% of locals said they could fight a mountain lion with their own hands...lol.

One of the questions IMO set the stage for disaster, the question was " How many people thought the CADFG was corrupt?". YUP....seriously that was a question on a large auditorium in downtown San Diego from a panel of out-state outdoorsmen who enjoy some sort of celebrity status. I thought that question was a joke but it wasn't.
I found the question not only inappropriate, but borderline disrespectful to the local CA residents and to our law enforcement. The answer was that less than 40% thought that was the case.
That question shows that no matter what degree you might have attained in school or how well versed some folks are in different topics, you just can't buy simple common sense.
I don't need out-of-state folks that visit our beaches to tell us how shitty we have in CA....last time that happened to me in a parking lot, the guy walked away limping and with a bloody mouth. Let us CA residents bitch about our own problems. Enounedos of political views by visitors is not Welcome.

If you think I am exaggerating you should know that Steve Rinella had no choice but to make a comment with a straight face to the audience about how great the DFWG is and how we all should support them. You see, he knew that whoever ignoramus from his crewt formulated that question fkd up.

If you paid $$$, you got a book with Steve's autograph and if you pay less for your ticket you didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there were VIP tickets that would probably allow you to mingle with the stars for top dollars. There were 3 style of shirts for sale with the same design somehow one uglier than the other with a the hoodie going for $60. Thanks but no thanks.

Rinella's crew seem to have ZERO clue on what SD is about when it comes down to hunting. They didn't provide any information to keep the attendees engaged about ANYTHING...I laughed for 10 minutes and that was it. We didn't hear cool stories, I don't think we learned anything, no opportunities for selfies for the average joe, no greeting at the door by any of them, not even a sticker...lol.

To summarize, No I would not recommend you spend the money to see the MeatEater Live. There is absolutely nothing of value there unless. Honestly, the guys are ordinary outdoorsmen with more opportunity to hunt than the average weekend worrier could dream but nothing more.

IMO a missed opportunity to retain followers and grow Steve's brand.

Reactions: Snake Charmer
Disagree....to bad you had a horrible experience...we had a blast and enjoyed it...but we hunt alot and for a good portion of our annual income....I'd see it again....fck..I mean Taylor Swift tickets are more expensive..

Disagree....to bad you had a horrible experience...we had a blast and enjoyed it...but we hunt alot and for a good portion of our annual income....I'd see it again....fck..I mean Taylor Swift tickets are more expensive..
Would you tell me what you found was worth the money you paid?

If it's about the money..you are there for the wrong reasons guy..not sure what you got hosed for in CA..but prolly alot...not shocking...I think we paid 40bucks..can't see a movie for that.. apparently...you did not get what you were expecting..but..there will always be folks like that...as far as thr ordinary hunters comment... enlighten us on what makes a superior hunter? I'm curious....

If it's about the money..you are there for the wrong reasons guy..not sure what you got hosed for in CA..but prolly alot...not shocking...I think we paid 40bucks..can't see a movie for that.. apparently...you did not get what you were expecting..but..there will always be folks like that...as far as thr ordinary hunters comment... enlighten us on what makes a superior hunter? I'm curious....
Hey Hatch, just look in the mirrior and you will see a superior hunter. I shit you not. You are a mass killer. :)

• Haha
Reactions: HATCHET1
I was there to hear Steve do what he does best on his podcasts. Every podcast I listen is entertaining and interesting.
I don't know where you came up with "superior hunter". I sure did not write that. My point was, I value their insight more than their pure presence. I don't need to make my way to the front to see their face or to try to high five them or to pay to see them.....they are just guys who hunt but I would pay to hear what they have to say if it is interesting. I respect them as hunters too, no more or less than other non-celebrity hunters.

Tickets were north of $100 depending on the seat. I saw some familiar faces and the feedback was similar although they used the word "lame".
You are 100% right, is not the money is the experience, which in this case I found to be boring.

Definitely wasnt a how to hunt seminar..so..superior meaning...like better than ordinary.....I was wondering if theres a difference between superior hunters..or ordinary hunters...or hunters that hunt alot and just get lucky...or if they are actually superior...or hunters that write a check to have someone show them where the game is or access private land( snobs)..I mean..theres all kinds..that's for sure...there definitely different stages of a hunter...I'd say..Steve is way superior than most..but
That's my opinion.. we enjoyed it as we did not go into it expecting alot....kinda like when we hunt..

Reactions: Brooksie
Definitely wasnt a how to hunt seminar..so..superior meaning...like better than ordinary.....I was wondering if theres a difference between superior hunters..or ordinary hunters...or hunters that hunt alot and just get lucky...or if they are actually superior...or hunters that write a check to have someone show them where the game is or access private land( snobs)..I mean..theres all kinds..that's for sure...there definitely different stages of a hunter...I'd say..Steve is way superior than most..but
That's my opinion.. we enjoyed it as we did not go into it expecting alot....kinda like when we hunt..
Superior, ordinary, private, public. I don't see what that has to do with yesterday's show. You think I am putting Rinella down. I don't think I am.
Perhaps my expectations to hear one of the most celebrated hunters of the last 10yrs speak were too high.

Prolly so...anyways..I gotta hit it..I actually have to hunt in the morning..I hate myself sometimes..enjoy the show for what it is fellas...standby for a post hunt report as usual...hope we see something

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Here is my review of last night's event in San Diego ...are you ready?..get your popcorn:

There is no secret that Steve has added a lot to the hunting community and we all should be grateful for that. I am one of those who watched the MetaEater show when it first came out and was hooked. Kudos to him for his success and new business ventures.

With that aside and with all due respect to Steve and his boys (the crew). Last night's MeatEater live was not worth the money, furthermore it was a disappointment.

I have and would pay north of what the MeatEater live tickets were going for, to watch a live show that provides some sort of value entertainment.

I found Steve super engaging and I could listen to him for hours. He is a great storyteller, smart and funny. Unfortunately part of the program apparently was not to let Steve spend more than a few minutes talking. Perhaps he was focusing a little too much on selling his book. I thought Steve would switch gears and talk to the audience about other interesting stuff but that unfortunately did not happen.

I am sorry but, I would not want to drive to downtown SD and pay money to see a group of guys on stage "shooting the shit" sort of speak. They showed pictures of their kid's recently harvested Turkey and told the audience how some of their family members grew up eating wild game. I am sorry but I did not attend the event for that.

The main act was that a couple of members of the audience were invited on stage to cast a jig into a bucket and whoever got close got a prize. It looked like the participants had some well-deserved fun. But again I was like....?????? The other big part of the entertainment was to find someone in the audience who could reproduce the sound of an Owl. That was funny.

Part of the show was also to let the panel on stage guess what percentage of the local audience would agree or disagree with questions like: Would you want Grizzlies in CA? Would you prefer to land a competitive-size mule deer or a catch record large mouth bass? and so on. Not surprisingly 40% of locals said they could fight a mountain lion with their own hands...lol.

One of the questions IMO set the stage for disaster, the question was " How many people thought the CADFG was corrupt?". YUP....seriously that was a question on a large auditorium in downtown San Diego from a panel of out-state outdoorsmen who enjoy some sort of celebrity status. I thought that question was a joke but it wasn't.
I found the question not only inappropriate, but borderline disrespectful to the local CA residents and to our law enforcement. The answer was that less than 40% thought that was the case.
That question shows that no matter what degree you might have attained in school or how well versed some folks are in different topics, you just can't buy simple common sense.
I don't need out-of-state folks that visit our beaches to tell us how shitty we have in CA....last time that happened to me in a parking lot, the guy walked away limping and with a bloody mouth. Let us CA residents bitch about our own problems. Enounedos of political views by visitors is not Welcome.

If you think I am exaggerating you should know that Steve Rinella had no choice but to make a comment with a straight face to the audience about how great the DFWG is and how we all should support them. You see, he knew that whoever ignoramus from his crewt formulated that question fkd up.

If you paid $$$, you got a book with Steve's autograph and if you pay less for your ticket you didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there were VIP tickets that would probably allow you to mingle with the stars for top dollars. There were 3 style of shirts for sale with the same design somehow one uglier than the other with a the hoodie going for $60. Thanks but no thanks.

Rinella's crew seem to have ZERO clue on what SD is about when it comes down to hunting. They didn't provide any information to keep the attendees engaged about ANYTHING...I laughed for 10 minutes and that was it. We didn't hear cool stories, I don't think we learned anything, no opportunities for selfies for the average joe, no greeting at the door by any of them, not even a sticker...lol.

To summarize, No I would not recommend you spend the money to see the MeatEater Live. There is absolutely nothing of value there unless. Honestly, the guys are ordinary outdoorsmen with more opportunity to hunt than the average weekend worrier could dream but nothing more.

IMO a missed opportunity to retain followers and grow Steve's brand.
Yep I get what you are saying....

Yea tickets in Boise were around $60 plus you get a signed copy of their new cook book that is worth $35 so not a bad deal to get out and here some dudes shoot the shit about stuff that interests me. Im looking forward to the show on Tuesday. I got so see them live a few years back at the BHA Rendezvous when it was in Boise before I lived out here and I enjoyed it. Pluss I been working on my owl call! ;)

Last edited:
I was there and enjoyed the show. I can see Wildgame's issues, Steve didn't talk as much as I anticipated he would, but I was really there to see the whole crew and I thought the stories were interesting. I was cracking up at the description of Jani's kids napping by Steve. For what I paid for my ticket, less the price of the "cookbook" I got it was well worth it in my opinion.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu