Memories

skinnyjimmy

Mar 9, 2013
Had both boys out this weekend.
Youngest son , Cade really had no interest in hunting til this past quail season where older bother Cam took him out.
Cade, at 14 got motivated , went online and completed his Hunter safety course.
We put some on-hands learning gun handling and overall safety prior to boots in the field.
He always had a saying, "dad I like my pancakes and pillow"
Which is way he was fine with us taking the boat out before sunrise for yellows or tuna and any pre-dawn hunting.
The two of them spend quality time in the field now that Cam is 19 and can mentor his little brother.
We had a bit of public disappointment Saturday where an off-road motorcycle came into out spread. This joker was nowhere near a trail and who knows why he thought any open meadow would be challenging.
We had a Jake and 10 hens working into shooting distance when ole "Evil" came blazing in.
Unbelievable!!
Sunday brings new light. No signs of birds with a slight mist at sunrise to about 7:30a
Decide to relocate 1000 yards and catch Jens feeding.
We pin ourselves up tight to an oak and soft call. Hammered by a solid gobbler and now see a Jake out in front of us.
Watched the hens, Tom and Jake for over two hours and the head south.
I asked the boys if they wanted to sit tight or head out to breakfast.
A teenager answer has us walking back to the truck.
As we hit our first set up, I see a lone gobbler track. That wasn't there earlier!.
Mouth call is immediately answered.
Then we see him.
That shinning black Sunday suit is headed right to us.
Dog pile behind a manzanita.
We got eyes on the band and they're marching in. As they round the bend, Cam directs Cade to reposition and take the safety off.
The leader of the group postures up and hits the brakes at 12 yards. All of em are checking for the ok and Cam gives the signal, "drop em".
We'll play this one out like a little league All-Star championship!!20220320_105838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine gobbler!......Congrats to both your boys and you for introducing them to it hunting.,...Hope Cade's hooked on Huntin'..... :clap:

Nice recap of the hunt ! Little brothers want to be like big brothers . Great going Cam and Cade

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu