Mid Range Binos

InDeepShip

Nov 7, 2021
Decided to stick with getting some higher tier binos. I want to stay around that 1500$ range. Is anyone looking to get rid of some used ones around there? 12x50 or 15x

Last edited:
What power, weight/size and use are you thinking about ? Tripod mounted, hand held/chest carry ?
Honestly Idk what I was thinking. 1647915806011.png

12x50 or 15x. Planning on using on a tripod mainly but I think ill stick around the 12x mainly so I can still hand hold them for short times.

B
If you are going to spend that kind of money, don't buy someones, old, used ones. You can get very nice new binos in that price range.
Disagree big time if you are a discerning glass person, good used european glass that has been cared for (which most has been because folks that spend that kind of money know what they have and care for it) that is on the same price point as new Asian glass has better qualities unless it is ancient (I.E. produced a long time ago.) I'll argue that all day and have the products in hand to prove it. The Germans and Austrians are hands down the best producers of quality glass there is period... We are splitting hairs here but thats what I have seen and know from my personal experience..

B

Disagree big time if you are a discerning glass person, good used european glass that has been cared for (which most has been because folks that spend that kind of money know what they have and care for it) that is on the same price point as new Asian glass has better qualities unless it is ancient (I.E. produced a long time ago.) I'll argue that all day and have the products in hand to prove it. The Germans and Austrians are hands down the best producers of quality glass there is period... We are splitting hairs here but thats what I have seen and know from my personal experience..
Less than $1500 will get you new Zeiss or comprable binoculars. Don't take hand me downs,.

If you grab 15x I assume you will also have an 8/10x on your chest also? That can be a truly awesome setup. I really like 8x for quick scanning and when I am covering ground. I would never go out with just 15x though except in a very particular circumstance.

If you are just bringing one pair I wouldn't go higher than 12x.

If you grab 15x I assume you will also have an 8/10x on your chest also? That can be a truly awesome setup. I really like 8x for quick scanning and when I am covering ground. I would never go out with just 15x though except in a very particular circumstance.

If you are just bringing one pair I wouldn't go higher than 12x.
I have 12x right now and i really like them to be honest. I think Im attracted to 15x because I don't have a spotter yet so I'm looking for a little more zoom on these scouting trips.

Reactions: 180ls1
I have 12x right now and i really like them to be honest. I think Im attracted to 15x because I don't have a spotter yet so I'm looking for a little more zoom on these scouting trips.
I'd see if you can rent or borrow a pair first (there are companies that let you rent high quality hunting gear). It would drive me crazy, that's just me talking though. You could be different.

coues whitetail AZ guys are constantly dumping good glass couple pairs of Swaro's on there now.

Just get a window mount for what ever glass you choose .....and make sure to post Copious amounts of Dead Mammals PLEASE..no birds.

Zeiss glass is made in japan, Swarovski is made in Austria and Leica is made in Portgual. Asian made glass, Austrian made glass and Portugese made glass...
To my knowledge, that is not an entirely true statement. Zeiss lenses are made in Germany, using glass sourced from Germany and also sometimes from Japan. Only the Terra line (the cheapo line) is manufactured in Asia.

Reactions: Snake Charmer
If you are willing to spend $1500 just spend a little more and buy Swarovski. My SLC 15s have killed a lot of animals. Best thing I ever bought. You will thank me for this advise and you will never regret the purchase.

Just get a window mount for what ever glass you choose .....and make sure to post Copious amounts of Dead Mammals PLEASE..no birds.
Oh trust me I'm working on it. First thing is to find actual live ones. Tracks only go so far

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu