Mountain Quail

Nice to see them covey up in a large number like that. Sure would like to sink me choppers into one, never had em before.

I used to always see them, of course I was hunting for deer or coyotes. When I would return specifically for them... gone! D-11, D-14 areas.

I've hunted the high areas above Isabella (North and South side) for years and have only seen Valley Quail. Glad to hear that there are Mnt.'s up there as well!

I've hunted the high areas above Isabella (North and South side) for years and have only seen Valley Quail. Glad to hear that there are Mnt.'s up there as well!

Need to hunt these areas when they get snow...They will be down as low as the snow gets.

Reactions: RKE
The only ones I've ever seen and the only one I ever bagged, and it was only one, was around 40 years ago just off of Highway 15 about halfway between 138 and the summit. There used to be a dirt road that you could turn off onto from right off the southbound side of the freeway and then you'd follow the Edison tower roads around a hill and up a valley off to the west. I'm pretty sure they blocked off access to that road years ago. I did look at the San Bernardino County shooting map and that area appears to still allow shooting for "lawful hunting only". I chased them around for a couple of hours, got an occasional shot at birds the flushed at the edge of outside of range and finally had one the held and flushed almost right at my feet. I was going to have it mounted but due to the close range I blew the heck out of it. Went back there several times but never saw the mountain quail there again.

Reactions: Smokey58
The only ones I've ever seen and the only one I ever bagged, and it was only one, was around 40 years ago just off of Highway 15 about halfway between 138 and the summit. There used to be a dirt road that you could turn off onto from right off the southbound side of the freeway and then you'd follow the Edison tower roads around a hill and up a valley off to the west. I'm pretty sure they blocked off access to that road years ago. I did look at the San Bernardino County shooting map and that area appears to still allow shooting for "lawful hunting only". I chased them around for a couple of hours, got an occasional shot at birds the flushed at the edge of outside of range and finally had one the held and flushed almost right at my feet. I was going to have it mounted but due to the close range I blew the heck out of it. Went back there several times but never saw the mountain quail there again.

I’ve spent a lot of time in that area on both sides of the 15. There’s some FAT quail around there. The downside is a lot of off-road traffic and they can be elusive as Waldo

Good job on getting some mountains, my favorite of the quail. Last year in the early season I bagged 3 birds with 1 shot. I went to ground shot one I could see and as I shot two others must of poked their heads up to see what was going on... didn't end well for them. I came up to retrive my one bird and there was 3, all head shots.

I was hoping someone would bag some mountain quail out there . I went hunting for them a few times this year . Great pictures !

Reactions: MarceloF
The main issue is trying to find them in an area that is not choked with brush that has clear shooting lanes. The disappear easily in heavy cover. Also the have a penchant for 45 degree hillsides. But in May they ring the ridge around my cabin and you can hear their mating calls all day long. They call very little if at all during the hunting season

Last edited:
Ha !, funny you mentioned this area. In 1989, we were deer hunting in the kennedy meadows area and found mountain quail and no deer and then when we returned in upland season, we found deer and no mountain quail. Elusive bastards they are...
A covey walked past me yesterday when I was hunting for deer... of course I didn't see a single quail when I went out with my shotgun a few weeks ago.

Mountain Quail.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu