My feet hurt but them quail are out there

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
Just wanted to give some positive vibes to folks who might be having a hard time finding the birds.

In the last week and a half I've hit three new to me places and found lots of quail. All three are legal CA public lands and are located no more than three hours from Blythe or Hermosa Beach. I started with my maps and said where the heck is there guaranteed water and legal public land. I picked three spots I've never been to before and went in cold. Found birds at all of them.

One of them is crazy obvious and had lots of signs of other hunters, is easy walking and had plenty of birds.
The second I hit is also crazy obvious but a little further out there. Lots of rough sand wash hunting, lots of miles and lots of birds.
The one I hit today is so obvious you would slap your forehead. Permanent water, great looking country but very hard hiking. We probably did 9-10 miles today with the majority off trail in rough canyons. This spot must be hiked into a couple miles to be legal then it is hard canyon/drainage bottom hunting. Once off the main trail a quarter mile the lookieloo boot prints disappeared, the going got tougher and the birds were there.

For obvious reasons I won't post the locations publicly. However I'm no professional hunter, I just sat down after the kids and wife were in bed, brewed a pot of coffee and pulled a couple late nights buried in the maps.

They are out there that's for sure! Grab the maps and start looking.

Mery Christmas to everyone and have a great one.

Awesome ! glad to hear you found them and equally glad to see you didn't disclose location. The drought has been hard on them lets leave a breeding population and hope for better weather conditions so that there's plenty for everybody.

Boudroux said:
However I'm no professional hunter, I just sat down after the kids and wife were in bed, brewed a pot of coffee and pulled a couple late nights buried in the maps.

They are out there that's for sure! Grab the maps and start looking.

Great Job! And this is what I have found also. There are good coveys, you just have to do a little walking and research. The old reliable spots aren't necessarily reliable right now, but there are locations with better than average habitat that have great coveys still. I have seen 30-40 bird coveys this season. What size coveys are you getting into? I have been hitting the ground with my dogs 2-3 days a week and we have had some great finds. Going again tomorrow.

I'm hoping the rain continues through winter and spring and next year will be killer.

Also X2 on what Snake Charmer said…. Leave those small coveys be. It can be hard not to shoot on the first flush, but I like to see what kind of covey I am working with before I start the shooting.

I'd say the coveys for the most part have been in the 15+/- size. I agree also for not taking birds out of small coveys. As for pics, I don't carry a camera or my phone when I'm out there.

I can take a picture of my gnarrled toes right now from yesterday. Freakin rock bottom washes absolutely killed my feet and a new pair of Big 5 cheapo HiTec boots.

Boudroux said:
I'd say the coveys for the most part have been in the 15+/- size. I agree also for not taking birds out of small coveys. As for pics, I don't carry a camera or my phone when I'm out there.

I can take a picture of my gnarrled toes right now from yesterday. Freakin rock bottom washes absolutely killed my feet and a new pair of Big 5 cheapo HiTec boots.
469154ae97a7058f0a2461566b22bb0d.jpg

Talking about putting miles in... haha. My feet are jacked up too.

OH SHIZAH!!! ADMIN PLEASE DELETE THAT PICTURE IMMEDIATELY WHILE I CLEAN UP MY PUKE!

Haha sorry. Not to take away from his quail story but since he brought up hurtin feet I thought I'd throw that in there. One of those rainy days during deer season I got soaked at dawn all the way down to my socks then hiked for the next 8 hours. Needless to say it was mega-blister!

SurfNHuntSD said:
Haha sorry. Not to take away from his quail story but since he brought up hurtin feet I thought I'd throw that in there. One of those rainy days during deer season I got soaked at dawn all the way down to my socks then hiked for the next 8 hours. Needless to say it was mega-blister!

LOL... gnar gnar! I was hoping you pulled that off the internet and it wasn't a life experience!

My feet did that when I was outa my boots for a week

Feel free to poast up those maps

SurfNHuntSD said:
Boudroux said:

Ouch I thought I messed my feet up quail hunting barefoot a few weeks ago I was wrong lol I think you win the award for best effort

Boudroux said:
Those Hitec boots suck lol I had a pair for a season and got the worst blisters from em. Not all big 5 boots are bad tho I did buy a hundred dollar pair of some random brand of hiking boots from big 5 2 years ago and have put a couple hundred miles on em and they rock I've never got blisters on em except when I got them the day before turkey season and broke em in hunting.

Guess the old lady won't be licking them dogs anytime soon. That's pretty bad.

My last pair of big 5 cheapos were awesome. Lasted a couple years and were comfy. This new pair are already in the trash.

I'd love to hear about bare foot quail hunting. Was it by design or did you leave the house early in slippers and got to the field when you realized the boots were sitting at home?

D16hunter said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
Boudroux said:

Ouch I thought I messed my feet up quail hunting barefoot a few weeks ago I was wrong lol I think you win the award for best effort
Barefoot quail hunting? Is that a new trend like barefoot running? Haha. Do tell this story...

SurfNHuntSD said:
D16hunter said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
Boudroux said:

Barefoot quail hunting? Is that a new trend like barefoot running? Haha. Do tell this story...
Ok I wasn't bare foot I had thick wool socks on. But I saw a covey run across the road and didn't have the time to put on my boots after deer hunting. So I chased em for two hundred yards shot one then the rest of the covey flushed and flew 200 yards away so since I had no boots I went back to the truck and saw a lone bird and shot him too. Ohh ya did I mention I did it with a pellet gun I had for rabbits since we didn't want to leave a real gun in the truck while hiking. And since y'all are calling bs right about now I have pictures to prove it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419455252.134137.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419455252.134137.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 67

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu