My hunting adventure behind the camera

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Last month my good friend Terry AKA Offhand-Airgunner, received notice that he had been accepted to participate in Daystate’s ASP program. This program was designed to give support to vloggers, budding journalists, hunters and competition shooters. Working alongside Brocock and MTC Optics this program is designed to deliver rifles and scopes into the hands of those that need support to further their careers in the Airgun world. Terry was very excited to participate and received his first gun, a Daystate Renegade HP .25 sent directly to him by
Airguns Of Arizona
aUJzRRf.jpg
Terry wasted no time and got the Renegade into the field as soon as possible for it’s first hunt before a cold front hit. The winter here has made getting out in the field very difficult, the cold weather makes the hunting quite slow. The following week we received a good amount of rain and snow here in CA that closed many of the roads leading into the mountains. Last week we had a good break with the weather so we ventured into the snowcapped mountains for a day of hunting. Marley and I were happy to get out of the house and although I wouldn’t be hunting it was nice to just get away. Terry and I loaded the Jeep early Saturday morning and traveled several hours into the nearby mountains that received a good amount of snow.
snapshot15-600x338.png

The entire high desert terrain had been transformed into what looked like a winter wonderland, simply breathtaking. We made a few stops along the way so I could capture some footage for the enclosed video. Terry unloaded the Renegade that came with a very nice carry case, perfect for securing the rifle through these rugged trails.
snapshot14-600x338.png

Terry set up his portable bench and put a target out at 75 yards to zero the rifle and do some practice before the hunt. The Renegade was prepped by Airguns Of Arizona to be able to shoot slugs. Terry brought some NSA 33.5gr that were a good match for the rifle and were traveling at just over 900fps producing just over 60fpe.
snapshot13-600x338.png

The Aztec Optics 5.5-25×50 (FFP) scope fit well to the gun and he said was very clear and useable in both target shooting and hunting. Beyond the scope he was outfitted with a 0db moderator that proved to quiet down the gun considerably as to be a bit more discreet in the hunting area. Terry spent some time practicing out to 75 yards while I filmed and photographed, such a beautiful day to be out.

snapshot12-600x338.png

The 33.5gr NSA slugs worked really well out of the Renegade, I couldn’t help but to take a few shots with it myself. After some practice with the rifle Terry, Marley and I were ready to head out to search for some rabbits and hares.

snapshot10-600x338.png

Terry had never hunted snow before, this time of year is extremely difficult and offers huge challenges. Finding rabbits and hares is Marley’s expertise and she is about as professional as they come. After some hiking we came to an overlook that offered a good view of the riverbed and mountain ranges.
DSC02520-600x493.jpg

During winter the rabbits and hares are usually held up in deep cover and in some cases under the snow in somewhat of an igloo. The sagebrush is covered in snow but as the snow thaws it’s sometimes possible to flush them either by dog or walking close by.
snapshot2-600x338.png

After a short break he continued his hike parallel with the riverbed, stopping frequently to glass the sagebrush.
DSC02509-600x450.jpg

We soon decided to cross the river that for the most part was frozen over near 200 yards across. On the other side of the river were the foothills to the larger mountain ranges, looked very promising.
snapshot4-600x338.png

Several hours of not seeing any rabbits or hares can get very frustrating, Terry hoped that the higher elevations may be better. I stayed back with the camera and watched them weave through the sagebrush that would eventually lead up into the mountains.
snapshot5-600x338.png

Much of the snow had already melted on some of the hillsides that made seeing movement much easier. We hiked up higher to work the ridgelines, this offers much better view.
snapshot6-600x338.png

The hill had a maze of very dense bushes, took some maneuvering to get through. Some of the areas had a ton of yucca that required me lifting Marley over so she wouldn’t get poked. As Terry made his way to the top of the ridgeline we sent Marley down into a ravine to flush out anything that might be hunkered down.
snapshot7-600x338.png

snapshot8-600x338.png

Marley ended up flushing a Cottontail, it quickly moved from bush to bush before stopping at 75 yards offering a great shot. The very distinct THWAACK made apparent Terry had connected the 33.5gr NSA slug. Marley set out up the hill to recover but had not seen exactly where the bunny went down. With me behind running the camera we made way to the kill site where we found Marley coveting “her” bunny.lol
snapshot9-600x338.png

The Cottontail went down hard with a neck shot, a very large hole that left an incredible amount of blood in the snow. Terry was more than pleased to have such great luck on getting a Cottontail in such a difficult area to hunt. The .25 Renegade is no doubt an excellent rifle to hunt with in such unforgiving terrain. I was blessed to have captured most all the action on camera, nice to go behind the scenes for once and enjoyed the experience very much.
DSC02559-600x398.jpg

After a short break we headed back across the river to the Jeep, my feet were wet and I was exhausted from hiking around all day with all the camera gear. Back at the Jeep we started a fire to warm up our bones and to add some atmosphere to Terry’s final thoughts on the Renegade.

g8hes8I.png

For me it's sometimes nice to have the opportunity to get behind the camera instead of in front of it, very enjoyable. I can't wait to get back out and spend a few days camping in this beautiful area, hope to share more soon. Here is the video that includes this hunt towards the end.

Cheers,

Dana

Thats awesome!! I gotta ask..you guys get paid for all that stuff or is it strictly voluntary with swag on the side? Fantastic work and dedication there.

Reactions: Crosman999
Thats awesome!! I gotta ask..you guys get paid for all that stuff or is it strictly voluntary with swag on the side? Fantastic work and dedication there.
Thanks, I get paid sponsorship to get these guns out in the field for review. For me this industry is a full time job.

Nice work dude!! Seriously..thats some dedication!! Love the posts!
Thanks, I never intended to really go this far but kept getting asked to review so quit my job after 20 years to pursue this. It's less money but I'm a whole lot happier, really blessed.

Thanks, I never intended to really go this far but kept getting asked to review so quit my job after 20 years to pursue this. It's less money but I'm a whole lot happier, really blessed.
Hell yes man!!! Only so many heartbeats!!! Live um!!

Dana,

As always, outstanding pictures, video, and write-up... :clap:

I got an entry level .25 PCP for Christmas (Gauntlet)...Put a scope on it yesterday and sighted it in...With it on 3,000 psi and down to 2,100 psi...It was right on the money even after 21 shots...Rabbits beware.

ps...Love the fact I can shoot 8 shots...Bought 2 more rotating clips.

Dana,

As always, outstanding pictures, video, and write-up... :clap:

I got an entry level .25 PCP for Christmas (Gauntlet)...Put a scope on it yesterday and sighted it in...With it on 3,000 psi and down to 2,100 psi...It was right on the money even after 21 shots...Rabbits beware.

ps...Love the fact I can shoot 8 shots...Bought 2 more rotating clips.
Thank you, Yes those entry level PCP's are great for small game hunting. Check out this stuff my friend makes for the Gauntlet https://hajimotoproductions.com/index.php/product-category/parts/umarex-parts/

Right on! I *LOVE* My .17 HMR, it's is hands down my favorite rifle! I haven't had opportunity yet to use one on a coyote though. What's the realistic range limits for taking a yote with the .17 HMR would you say? Are there are special considerations in terms of shot placement location?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu