My little girl bird dog

This was last Monday out in Imperial. We don't have a bird dog yet, so the kids stood in and helped fetch our clean shots.

Doves cook up so nice!

Attachments

• with Bean, dove-1.jpg
    with Bean, dove-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 1 birds palm.jpg
    1 birds palm.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 1 birds guns.jpg
    1 birds guns.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1 plated dove.jpg
    1 plated dove.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 23
finally someone who gets that camo is not required for doves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post SA. And a big thumbs up with getting the family out there.

The dove - mini game hen look alike has got me salivating. Nice touch!

It is also noted that someone possesses photography skills as well. Dandy photos...and thanks for sharing.

Aeon said:
finally someone who gets that camo is not required for doves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill is anti-costume! I love wearing my hunting costume... :)

Looks like fun. Nice job with the war and eye protection for your assistant 8)

Snake Charmer said:
Share you're recipe please !

It's easy, and pretty quick! You can use whole dove or breasts only. This one was from the LL Bean Game & Fish Cookbook - Braised Doves in Madeira Sauce (though I subbed sherry for the madeira):
4 doves (though I used 2 whole Eurasians + 6 Mourning dove breasts)
lemon juice
salt + pepper
7 T butter
3 T chopped onion
2 T flour
1/2 cup Madeira (or sherry, or dry Marsala)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 heavy cream

Rub doves all over with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Brown them in 3 T butter in a casserole dish, then saute the onions in 2 T butter. In a small skillet, melt 2T butter, stir in flour, and cook a minute or two. Off heat, stir in the wine, stock, and cream. Return to heat stirring until sauce thickens. Pour sauce over the birds, then cover and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes (though I cooked for less than 30 minutes for fear they would be overdone going that long, and I was right... but I had mostly breasts in there).

I served it over mashed potatoes with some broccoli + peas alongside. The kids asked for more, so I have to go back out there and shoot some more this weekend. ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu