My Turkey Trips This Spring

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
I went out on opening day, no gobbles, didnt see any, no tracks, not scat, just got bit by a few mosquitoes but it was a beautiful morning. I went back out after work around 5:00 P.M. out of boulder creek. I hiked down a little to the top of this valley, made some calls, no response. I walked a little and this big bird...a turkey flies out of the tree like 200 ft from me. I tried to track it down but it was gone. I felt so stupid for not seeing it. ha. I didnt get one but actually seeing my first public land turkey I was quite satisfied. Hopefully it will be back and I can actually get closer to getting one. I will be back out there this week. IDK how everyone else is doing but good luck out there.

Hey man, you're just scouting at 5 pm right? Legal shooting time for spring gobblers ends t 4 pm.

I'm sure you knew that, but your post could be misread.

Not gonna act like I knew this but I have never seen the info for this or heard of this. If it's true I guess I got lucky. Please post a link to the shooting hours on dfg to confirm this...

Gcddarren said:
Not gonna act like I knew this but I have never seen the info for this or heard of this. If it's true I guess I got lucky. Please post a link to the shooting hours on dfg to confirm this...

310.5 of the Upland game regs.

PLEASE READ THE REGS GUYS........The 4:00 pm deadline is always mentioned in our seminars or NWTF events.

Couple more you may not be aware of.....Shot no larger than lead size 2....Half hour before sunrise (and please do NOT shoot out of roost trees)....Turkey must have a VISIBLE beard....You also need an upland game bird stamp.

All these things have been asked of me since the start of the season.

Not to come down on the folks who didn't know the regs but understand that as a licensed hunter, it is your responsibility to know the regs. When a warden checks you and you claim ignorance, you just opened your self up to being cited and possibly getting your gear confiscated. Bottom line is the responsible thing to do is to read and re read the regs and know it before you go on your trip. Way too many people claiming they didn't know.

Thanks I know now. This stuff hard learning on your own that's why I'm on this board to learn from people with experience.

Gcddarren said:
Thanks I know now. This stuff hard learning on your own that's why I'm on this board to learn from people with experience.
That's the spirit. This might be a good opportunity to read and re-read the regs, with specific emphasis on the topics brought up in this thread. For convenience, I download the current reg books onto my iPhone iBooks app, so if a question comes up I can refer to it quickly using the search function:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=88820&inline=1

Ran into a couple guys this morning getting ready to head out into the Laguna rec area with shotguns. Good thing it was me that stopped to chat and not Mr. Green Jeans. I do my best to educate those I encounter, but let's face it. You need to know the laws better than those enforcing them. That's hard to say, harder still to do, but I'm finding that statement to be true more and more.

To hunt in California these days you almost need to be a lawyer and a bird expert. If you make a mistake now days, going out with a gun in your hand and shoot something wrong.... you will need to lawyer up or pay a huge fine might even loose your gun. Its getting down right scary now. They are looking for a reason to ruin your day.

Know whats coming your way when you walk out on public land

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu