National Forest closures

Actually, that was the Cedar Fire...And was started by a hunter who got lost...It was also well known that that fire could've been contained early, but FS decided not to send in air support...The rest is history.

In 2007, the Witch Creek fire was caused by downed power lines and winds that pushed 60+...In either case, Mother Nature plays a large role...I personally don't see the need to close public lands...This country needs to burn occasionally.
Thanks for the correction, also I agree the forests in CA have been mismanaged for 100 years. There are plants that need fire to propagate, it’s an important part of the ecology. But the fuel load plus mismanagement and drought have put us in a very bad place. Actually, before the Spanish arrived the local indigenous folk (at least in NorCal) did a great job of managing bio diversity. We lost that when we started putting out every fire as soon as it started.

Yes some of my neighbors houses burnt down and we were evacuated for a week in Blossom Valley. But when you choose to live in a fire area that’s your choice you know the risk. If people are afraid of fires maybe they should move to the city. Your choice of home location means nothing to me and my right to hunt public lands.
People get in car accidents every day and we don’t shut the freeways down.
OK, works for me, this has nothing to do with me, my view of CA (I grew up here in the foothills of the SF Valley) is if it’s green it will burn. So my decisions are mine alone. However, I don’t need somebody doing something stupid in the back country to enhance the chances of me or you losing everything. By the way that includes SDGE for what they didn’t do in ‘07.

OK, works for me, this has nothing to do with me, my view of CA (I grew up here in the foothills of the SF Valley) is if it’s green it will burn. So my decisions are mine alone. However, I don’t need somebody doing something stupid in the back country to enhance the chances of me or you losing everything. By the way that includes SDGE for what they didn’t do

Life’s about choices.

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
Saw this news as well. I got a new shotgun, steel shot, scheduled time off of work for a sep 10th dove hunt. This was gonna be my first try at dove. I have a spot off the 33 where I hunt rabbits and look for deer that are only ever does. Obviously this is In LPNF. I am coming out of Ventura, if BLM land closes down I may start knocking on farmers doors. Any suggestions for a new dove hunter who has only ever hunted public and does not know any ranch owners? I even looked at Tejons website and then laughed at myself for even looking up the price.

You may have to kneel and bob>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> only kidding

Yes some of my neighbors houses burnt down and we were evacuated for a week in Blossom Valley. But when you choose to live in a fire area that’s your choice you know the risk. If people are afraid of fires maybe they should move to the city. Your choice of home location means nothing to me and my right to hunt public lands.
People get in car accidents every day and we don’t shut the freeways down.
You seem to have quite an attitude.I feel your privilege to hunt public lands means nothing to me. Maybe if you lost everything in that fire your bullshit wouldn't come off so absolute. But that's my opinion of your 'no one can order me,' and you have stated yours.
My kids and grandkids in So. Lake Tahoe are hoping and praying they will have something they can call home to come back to. If a temporary closure will keep other families from going thru this, I say why not. Again it is just my opinion.
When it comes to a fire season like this one is shaping up to be, your "Right to hunt public lands" means nothing and I mean nothing to me. As you stated above no one matters to you, but you.
What a pity!

You seem to have quite an attitude.I feel your privilege to hunt public lands means nothing to me. Maybe if you lost everything in that fire your bullshit wouldn't come off so absolute. But that's my opinion of your 'no one can order me,' and you have stated yours.
My kids and grandkids in So. Lake Tahoe are hoping and praying they will have something they can call home to come back to. If a temporary closure will keep other families from going thru this, I say why not. Again it is just my opinion.
When it comes to a fire season like this one is shaping up to be, your "Right to hunt public lands" means nothing and I mean nothing to me. As you stated above no one matters to you, but you.
What a pity!
It’s sad what’s happening to families, businesses and legacies in all these towns burning. I hope your family is safe and doesn’t lose what they’ve worked so hard for.

I think part of the issue here is the blanket closures where there currently aren’t fires. This would be like closing down the California coastline because a shark killed someone in Otay and the lifeguards are worried about having to rescue people in half moon bay.

There isn’t really a great answer to our current situation without going back decades and changing the way we manage our forests, wildlife and visitors. For the moment, we’re all in a shit position whether it’s a loss of hunting time, camping time or god forbid, far worse.

Stay safe out there.

To me it is becoming very disappointing to see folks that enjoy and have the same pursuits become so argumentative and disengaged with each other. I am beginning to think that we as a community have become disinfranchised with each other and wonder whether we as ourdoorsfolks will survive if we cannot get along and oppose what we all are being confronted with. I am also beginning to think that social media and being able to hide behind an keyboard is not helping this.

Agreed...the more you get out and actually kill something ..the better...I have to do it on a bi monthly basis or i,ll snap...but that's me...everyone is a little different...I think.....hoping the best for the future. Hunters for sure ..

What a pity!
again don't turn on each other, I have been through three major fires, and my parents home, and my sisters homes plus all our neighbors burn down. my home got severely damage, it's were we choose to live. some people deal with hurricanes and tornados. we have fires and earth quakes. blame California. mis-management.

Agreed...the more you get out and actually kill something ..the better...I have to do it on a bi monthly basis or i,ll snap...but that's me...everyone is a little different...I think.....hoping the best for the future. Hunters for sure ..
Glad to hear your response Hatchet you are paramount to this site.Keep your good news coming. Some folks seem to think l am the bad guy when I check them so that that they can be "right" Not sure why and don't really care. Just trying to help others enjoy the outdoor's with what I can share from what I have learned. Good luck to all you dovers, Wish I could be there but other responsibilties call....

Thinking about this more, if it actually can prevent fires than it will pay for future hunts. Lol.

My current fire insurance is $850 a month (yes, fire only) due to all the crazy fires the last couple of years. If I could get that down to $350 a month, that is an extra 6k a year in my pocket for hunts I could spend. Heck I could join a few of you guys on MCC just in fire insurance savings.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner
To me it is becoming very disappointing to see folks that enjoy and have the same pursuits become so argumentative and disengaged with each other. I am beginning to think that we as a community have become disinfranchised with each other and wonder whether we as ourdoorsfolks will survive if we cannot get along and oppose what we all are being confronted with. I am also beginning to think that social media and being able to hide behind an keyboard is not helping this.

Yeah, between President Trump getting elected (2016) through COVID, social media and news has created extreme divisiveness all for the name of $$ (aka clicks).

I don't even believe there was malicious intent. Machine learning would pick up on this quickly and implement it without a user having an input.

I've always said ."machines have no conscious."...it's dove thirty fellas...gotta get some rest ...good luck...and post him when you shoot him.

1. Spend more time outdoors and less time checking all the different social media apps many claim to hate and maybe you wouldn't of gotten the memo to be enraged by and you'd be out hunting oblvious to a clousre.

2. For a bunch of grown men that I'd think would take some pride in not letting a bunch of so called libs tell them what to do some here sure like to whine a lot anytime some sand gets in your panties. Wash it out. Retrive your balls, put some camo on and go out anyway descretely and smartly. Or I don't know go hunt not on NF land maybe. There's no trophy doves on NF land anyways.

3. Have some understanding for the crap situation that others are in and realise that whatever terrible decissions and mismanagement that got us here that the situation is what it is with these fires. They only have so many firefighting resources. As much as we all know they should have more and as much as we all know they should of been putting expotientially more work in before fires even start by reducing fuel load and overgrowth they have not. A third of the entire Tahoe basin is under mandatory evacuations stretching from Tahoma though South Lake and Meyers to Roundhill in NV. (Us included, upper Kingsbury) Also have some understanding that just because somebody has some property in the forest doesn't mean they are just supposed to assume all the risk of timing, weather factors, neighboring conditions that may be put upon them at that moment. It not our fault that the next state over hasn't properly managed the excess fuel load 40 miles away. Clearing our property is less effective when the people next door have do a crap job. So much so I took it upon myself to do it myself without their consent. And it's not just about peoples homes and business but the land as well. What makes your right to hunt now greater than anothers for multiple years into the future? Charred landscapes aren't the greatest places to hunt.

4. While I'm not going to go up and start a fire there sadly is no shortage of idiots that will. On the way back down I was exploring some of the areas just off Mammoth Lakes loop. An absolute horrible ammount of standing dead trees and fuel all over. And what did I see on my way out but a truck full of idiots ashing cigarettes out the open windows. There is no shortage of stupid.

5. With the resources taxed as much as they are I'm guessing they want to avoid an evacuation sitiuation again like the creek fire where they had to go get people. Not residents but visitors.

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu