New .308 - Savage Axis XP Scope Combo Bushnell 4-12x40mm

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Just found both a .308 rifle AND lead free ammo in stock (sorry boys, they only let me order 2 boxes, since thats all they had left).

Got the Savage Axis XP, comes mounted and (supposedly) bore sighted out of the box with a Bushnell 4-12x.

I head out tomorrow to sign the papers and put the rifle in CA gun jail for 10 days, meaning itll be ready to pick up Christmas Day (shame I work that day, the 27th will have to suffice).

Ill have to see if I can find any other ammo to take to the range and fully sight it in...will be my first time, so any tips are appreciated. Will be taking it with me on any scouting/hiking outings now, might be able to take a yote or two.

Mason,

Those Savage Axis rifles are killers...My daughters .243 and my SIL's .270...Your 30-06 will kill anything out of the box.... :blush:

.View attachment 52524View attachment 52525
Sweet lookin rifle, great deer, and some happy children. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a .308 in stock, AND lead free ammo! I had a Remington 700 in the cart...it was sold by the time I entered my credit card details. Mainly wanted it for the name, I knew it would be one that could be passed down and had a legendary background. The savage will do for now, and hopefully for a long time.

Sweet lookin rifle, great deer, and some happy children. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a .308 in stock, AND lead free ammo! I had a Remington 700 in the cart...it was sold by the time I entered my credit card details. Mainly wanted it for the name, I knew it would be one that could be passed down and had a legendary background. The savage will do for now, and hopefully for a long time.

That rifle will do you right and IMO are better now than the legendary Rem 700 these days...If you look closely, they both have the original Bushnell scope...Jacob's has the 4-12 and that buck was killed at like 213 yds...He has never shot anything but copper in it...No problem.

One of the boys I've mentored....Savage Stainless Axis 30-06

.IMG_9520.JPG

223 /22-250 caliber make a great coyote round
That they do! I went with the .308 so I could also utilize for deer, maybe hogs, gunna wait on getting a bear tag until after I get a .300 winmag lol

Reactions: sportyg
You will want to site in with the same exact ammo that you will hunt with.

150 grain in this brand of ammo is not, and will not, hit in the same spot as 150 grain in that brand of ammo.

We were sighting in my son in laws Axis XP rifle in 308 with the same Bushnell bore sighted scope before deer season and it was off by 4 feet no BS. If i was in your shoes i would order 2 more boxes ASAP.

I have a .223 axis with 5 deer and 3 antelope to its credit shooting tsx’s out to 310yards. Extremely easy to shoot well and spot impacts compared to larger calibers. Plus substantially cheaper to feed. 844AAE78-69D8-4F3A-A23C-417932B14FF7.jpeg43E9D914-71AF-46A1-8B8E-D8BA6D2D344B.jpegD52E3983-D266-4A2D-BC0F-F58E19C14752.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You will want to site in with the same exact ammo that you will hunt with.

150 grain in this brand of ammo is not, and will not, hit in the same spot as 150 grain in that brand of ammo.

We were sighting in my son in laws Axis XP rifle in 308 with the same Bushnell bore sighted scope before deer season and it was off by 4 feet no BS. If i was in your shoes i would order 2 more boxes ASAP.
I agree, except Target practice with cheaper ammo the when you got it down, then sight in the good ammo for the hunt. Different strokes for different folks. I tend to pull right. So I practice till I get my breathing, and holding down so I get repeatability on pattern. But the again just a hunter and not a sharp shooter.

Reactions: MasonP

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu