New Air Rifle

Most tanks are 4500, many of the modern higher end guns fill to 3500/4000 psi now. Good high pressure compressor is big money. They do have some affordable ones but they have short lifespan for the most part. These guns can be a financial commitment the deeper you get into using them.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Not sure if anyone made this recommendation, but I would recommend getting a Weihrauch HW95, or a Beeman R9. They are the same model, as Beeman imports the Weihrauch. Weihrauch is a German manufacturer who makes excellent quality airguns. You get what you pay for, and I've shot many sub-$500 air rifles. Some are accurate, but many are not. I think the HW95 is one of the best bang/buck, and the Rekord trigger is exceptional. I have a friend who shoots one to 50 yds. Learning to hold all springers (break-barrel rifles) correctly while firing is a MUST.
It's a break-barrel and, as someone mentioned previously, will benefit from using an "artillery hold". See below:

Because piston-driven air rifles have a piston moving forward, the gun moves backward slightly to compensate. This can cause the barrel to move, throwing off the aim point. Using the artillery hold, is allows the gun to move more freely, compensating for the rearward gun inertia.

The movement of the gun when firing is jarring to most scopes, which is why you want one rated for this. As an example, my neighbor has a cheaper Gamo model that he said was not aiming correctly. I spotted it in for him, but 5 shots later, it was out of aim again. The constant jarring of the springer caused the cheap scope to loosen internally.
Many manufacturers build quality scopes, but few are inexpensive AND work well. Hawke makes great scopes that are designed for this. Here is a good recommendation:

You don't need high magnification for the range you'll be shooting, and this will exceed your needs.

Last thing, DON'T SKIMP ON THE PELLETS! Many ppl buy nice guns, but don't understand the importance of quality pellets, and the consistency of machining, facilitating better groupings.
Also, don't zero the scope using funky pellet shapes like pointed, hollowpoint, etc.
These pellets are not cheap, but they are of excellent quality. I've taken rabbits, large crows etc with them.

They come in different grains, so I would get a small amount of 13(ish) to 16(ish) grain pellets, and see which your gun likes, assuming you get a .22 flavor.
Often, high quality pellets come in slightly different widths, as all barrels are not machined the same. In .22 cal, you can get from 5.52mm to 5.54, in varying sizes. That .02 difference can make a huge difference in accuracy, and distance. You might want to get 3 sizes, like 5.5, 5.52, and 5.53, and pattern your gun with all three, to see if there's a big change

It's a lot to consider, but planning ahead makes it a lot more fun when you get consistently good results in the field.

Good Luck!
D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu