New Air Rifle

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
I am interested in getting a new air rifle and hoped yall could point me in the right direction.
I am looking to use it for hunting birds (collared doves, crows, etc.) and small/non game (squirrels, rabbits, gophers, etc.).
I was thinking .22 caliber, and ~20 ft-lbs at the muzzle (~10 grains, ~950 fps). Does that sound about right?
Seems like a quieter option would be better.
Is a shooting distance of ~25 yds ethical with something like this?
Any thoughts on a pump vs break barrel?
What are some quality brands?
If you have something simlar, what do you like/dislike about yours?

My budget is around $200.
Here are a few that I was looking at:
  • Benjamin 392 ($200)
  • Benjamin Trail Nitro piston ($186)
  • RWS diana 34P striker combo ($310)

Last edited:
That Benjamin Trail is not a bad rifle at all for the money and in .22 should ethically take animals. I would suggest taking some time to break the gun in and get familiar with how it shoots at various distances. Some good quality pellets are a good investment. I prefer using JSB brand and have found the 18gr work very good in .22

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
That Benjamin Trail is not a bad rifle at all for the money and in .22 should ethically take animals. I would suggest taking some time to break the gun in and get familiar with how it shoots at various distances. Some good quality pellets are a good investment. I prefer using JSB brand and have found the 18gr work very good in .22
Listen to this!!! Pretty sure you will not go wrong!

Important to get one that's Airgun rated, Hawke brand is pretty decent and has a working warranty if things go wrong.

I have never heard of a scope that is airgun rated nor do I know why that is required, but i will definitely look into it as I have seen your posts and recognize your authority on the subject. Any suggestions on where I can find more info on the details? I did a quick google search but I didnt see who was the rating authority.

I like when mfgs have the confidence in there product to offer a warranty. So that is something i will look for.

Any other specs that I should be looking for specific to the setup mentioned above? Magnification, etc.?
What kind of budget range should i be looking at?

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosman999
I have a older version of the pump and love that gun

I have an old crossman 2100 that is a pump, but it has taken a nose dive recently and is inconsistent. I think after many years the seals have given up.

Have you had any problems with game running off or being scared away for follow up shots using a pump?
It seems like the advantage of the pump is that you can control the speed in sensitive situations (back yard pest control, etc.), but they may be louder to pump and take more time for a follow up shot?

I have an old crossman 2100 that is a pump, but it has taken a nose dive recently and is inconsistent. I think after many years the seals have given up.

Have you had any problems with game running off or being scared away for follow up shots using a pump?
It seems like the advantage of the pump is that you can control the speed in sensitive situations (back yard pest control, etc.), but they may be louder to pump and take more time for a follow up shot?

All reasons to own a multi shop pellet gun.

I have never heard of a scope that is airgun rated nor do I know why that is required, but i will definitely look into it as I have seen your posts and recognize your authority on the subject. Any suggestions on where I can find more info on the details? I did a quick google search but I didnt see who was the rating authority.

I like when mfgs have the confidence in there product to offer a warranty. So that is something i will look for.

Any other specs that I should be looking for specific to the setup mentioned above? Magnification, etc.?
What kind of budget range should i be looking at?
a scope that is rugged enough to take recoil, any scope for a high powered rifle will work, with life time warranty, Bushnell ,vortex, Leopold. , or what Crossman recommended.
research and buy w/I your budget. max range 50 yard.

Dana will be able to explain, but air rifle recoil is different than a standard HP rifle...Has something to do with reverse recoil or something like that...Buy an air rifle scope...2 cents

They one you posted with the rabbit a couple weeks ago had the wood stalk where you get that one at all I see is the black plastic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Check this out at Amazon.com
Benjamin Trail NP XL Air Rifle air Rifle so this a good choice also? Or not?

This one
5f549f9aca54f09f1fe8a56a0dd63dd6.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu