New Hunting Rig GX470

I owned one, they are very capable rigs. We just sold it last February (14 MPG). Comes stock with lockers and full time 4 wheel drive as well as height control.

My exploring rig is a GX470 as well. It's been a great rig once I did a few mods, mainly ditching the rear airbags. I get a few interesting looks here and there, and must admit to having pickup envy myself, but whatever. It's a great choice for a SoCal kid hauler as well, and it's what works for us.
Here it is on top of the Whites:
IMG_0057.JPG

And elk hunting NV:
IMG_2173.JPG

Nice setups guys. I like seeing people using proper body on frame SUV's for hunting. I hope to purchase a 4runner in the near future that will dual as a family vehicle for my wife and kids and give me truck like options when I need them (hunting, off roading, shooting, Home Depot runs). It will also fit inside of my garage as well, which is a plus. It's just sad that auto manufacturers are making these vehicles appear like a dying breed to make way for less durable but more fuel efficient crossovers.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ummmm. I see some fighting words in there. Cherokee Xj’s wj’s and zj’s are some of the best strongest off roading rigs around. And they are unibody. Ive built many cherokees that do really well even stock.

Wasn't the Cherokee RWD/4WD and body on frame until the newest version came out? I believe Fiat then switched them to unibody FWD/AWD. I see a lot of the older ones with the 4.0L V6 that seem to be popular with the off road enthusiasts. I think the same thing was also done to the Grand Cherokee as well. I have nothing against unibody crossovers, especially when gas is hovering around $4/gal. I just think the traditional setup provides more rigidity for really avid off roading.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
The XJ Cherokee has always been a unibody. Body on frame is stronger but there is enough aftermarket products out there to stiffen up the frame on the XJ if someone is willing to do it. Unless youre doing some serious rock crawling I dont think you need it. Love my XJ and wouldnt trade it for a Wrangler anyday. I love the tech in the newer jeeps but I dont need them. I like my 4x4 vehicles to be ugly enough I dont care if it gets scratched and dinged.

Attachments

• 20180211_103050resized.jpg
    20180211_103050resized.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 17
Wasn't the Cherokee RWD/4WD and body on frame until the newest version came out? I believe Fiat then switched them to unibody FWD/AWD. I see a lot of the older ones with the 4.0L V6 that seem to be popular with the off road enthusiasts. I think the same thing was also done to the Grand Cherokee as well. I have nothing against unibody crossovers, especially when gas is hovering around $4/gal. I just think the traditional setup provides more rigidity for really avid off roading.
The 4.0 was a straight 6 not v and no the xj has always been unibody. I do this for a living and have been for over 20 years. Frames can take more weight usually but some are week anyway. And being ridged is not always good off road. Cherokee and grand cherokees are pretty good at what they do. In any event any 4x4 is better then no 4x4. The best part about hunting, hiking, an off roading is getting out there and enjoying nature. It’s great to see guys using all manner of vehicle to get out and have fun.

I have owned 3 4x4
1967 Jeepster camando
1988 Toyota pickup
Current vehicle 2011 Ford ranger
I like the Jeepster the best.
I drove that vehicle were there was no roads. Like the Sierra madres in
Mainland Mexico. It was like a white mountain goat. It would go anywhere.
Tough little Jeep. V6 with a 400 GM turbo hydramatic. Reasonable gas mileage. Original SUV.
Probably not as tough as Cherokee.
But it never broke down, never got stuck. Even in sand, knee deep mud.
Should have never sold it.
Two door hatch back.
Best
Longbow

Anyone done serious research on rooftop tents? I'm considering one for my truck, but there's a hundred choices and I'm not really sure I want it just sitting there the 95% of the year I'm not in the woods.

Anyone done serious research on rooftop tents? I'm considering one for my truck, but there's a hundred choices and I'm not really sure I want it just sitting there the 95% of the year I'm not in the woods.
Nope. I thought they were cool looking so I Googled them and saw how expensive they were, and said forget it. My lightweight 1-man tent still works just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ramshackle

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu